From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishop, WordAlone Network Leader Meet, Discuss CCM Issues

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 16 Dec 1999 13:00:14

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

December 13, 1999

ELCA BISHOP, WORDALONE NETWORK LEADER MEET, DISCUSS CCM ISSUES
99-312-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) and the leader of what is now called,
"WordAlone Network" met for 90 minutes here Dec. 8 to discuss their
mutual interests in the ELCA's full communion proposal with the
Episcopal Church.
     The Rev. H. George Anderson, ELCA presiding bishop, and the Rev.
Roger C. Eigenfeld, WordAlone Network steering committee leader,
Mahtomedi, Minn., met privately at the Lutheran Center, the ELCA's
churchwide offices.  Eigenfeld proposed the meeting shortly after his
election at a conference in Roseville, Minn., last month.  Anderson
accepted and invited Eigenfeld to Chicago.
     Following their meeting, the two met together with representatives
of the ELCA News and Information Service and The Lutheran, the magazine
of the ELCA.
     The full communion proposal, "Called to Common Mission" (CCM), was
adopted 716-317, slightly more than the two-thirds required, at the
ELCA's Churchwide Assembly in Denver Aug. 19.  Some Lutherans, many of
whom are part of the newly formed WordAlone Network, remain opposed to
the proposal.  Their concerns center on what they say is a loss of
Lutheran identity over the ELCA's decision to adopt the historic
episcopate, brought to the relationship by the Episcopal Church.  They
also say they are concerned about the roles of bishops, especially the
CCM requirement that they preside at all future ordinations.
     A general convention of the Episcopal Church will meet in the
summer of 2000 in Denver, and will consider CCM.
     This fall about 2,500 to 3,000 people attended 45 regional
gatherings to talk about CCM-related concerns.  More regional gatherings
are being planned by the network to be held early in the new year.
     The ELCA is a 5.2-million member church, the largest Lutheran
denomination in North America.
     Anderson said he was glad to meet personally with Eigenfeld.  He
said most conversations between ELCA leaders and CCM opposition have
been spoken "at a distance." Some comments seemed like "artillery
barrages," Anderson said.
     "I hope this can be a model for continuing conversations between
various groups," Anderson said. "The more we talk, the more we can
maintain a more direct, personal and honest discussion."
     Anderson said his goals for the meeting were:
     +to discuss the possibility of holding "facilitated" conferences
in various parts of the church so people holding different positions can
exchange views (and learn about CCM), an idea suggested by some people
opposed to CCM;
     +to point out that as presiding bishop, he does not possess the
constitutional power to make exceptions to what the church has done
through its churchwide assembly; and
     +to help make it possible for voices of dissent to be heard.
     Anderson also said he encouraged Eigenfeld to bring specific
network proposals to the ELCA for a response.
     "It's not really clear what they want yet," Anderson said.
     Eigenfeld said he, too, brought some specific concerns to the
meeting:
     +He warned "a confrontation is coming" over CCM in the ELCA if its
provisions come into force.  Eigenfeld said he prefers to work to avoid
confrontation.
     +He voiced concerns that a "representative" ELCA does not exist
because synod and churchwide assembly voting members represent the whole
church and not the synods from which they are elected.  Some people
opposed to CCM remain upset that churchwide assembly voting members did
not necessarily vote the way some synods voted this past spring on CCM
and its provisions.  The synod assembly votes were nonbinding.
     Eigenfeld said many network members aren't sure if there's a place
for them in the ELCA.  He also said many don't believe the historic
episcopate can exist theologically in the ELCA.
     Some opposed to CCM say they will leave the ELCA if CCM is in
force.    "I espouse fighting from within," Eigenfeld emphasized.
     However, the ELCA must do more than talk with opposition, he said.
There must be action, not just conversation.  Eigenfeld later said
continuing conversation "can't do anything but help."
     "If this church is going to wait around for two years to take care
of a sore, it's too late," Eigenfeld said.  ELCA churchwide assemblies
are held every two years.
     Eigenfeld said he would be open to dialogue with ELCA leadership
bodies, including the Church Council, the ELCA's board of directors that
guides the church between churchwide assemblies, and the Conference of
Bishops, which includes the presiding bishop and the 65 synodical
bishops.  The goal of such conversations would be to find a mutually
agreeable solution to conflicts that exist with CCM.
     Eigenfeld said he has the "highest regard and respect" for
Anderson and that disagreement on CCM is not personal.  There are "good
people" on different sides of the issue, he added.
     Speaking to ELCA members, Anderson said he wanted to emphasize
that the church made a serious decision when it adopted CCM.
     "In the process, we recognize some individuals don't agree," he
said. "As a church, we are concerned about those people and their
consciences.  We are prepared to listen, but we are not at the point
that we will grant exceptions to an action the church has taken."
     If changes in CCM are desired, they should be suggested through
constitutional means, Anderson added.

For information contact: