From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Celebrates United Methodist Unit's Resumed Funding

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 16 Dec 1999 13:07:32

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

128NCC12/16/99    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC CELEBRATES UNITED METHODIST UNIT'S RESUMED FUNDING

 December 16, 1999, NEW YORK CITY - National Council of
Churches leaders welcomed a United Methodist Church unit's
announcement today that it has lifted its two-month suspension of
funding designated for NCC basic support and thus released the
$342,919 remaining toward its 1999 pledge of close to $670,000.

 The UMC's General Commission on Christian Unity and
Interreligious Concerns (GCCUIC) on Oct. 9 had voted the suspension,
citing concerns about NCC fiscal policies and management while
reaffirming its "deep commitment" to the NCC "as a vital agency of
mission and service to the ecumenical movement."

 The affected monies, from the UMC's Interdenominational
Cooperation Fund, support the NCC's Ecumenical Commitment Fund,
which in turn supports faith and order, ecumenical networks,
Christian unity and interreligious concerns programs; the NCC
Washington Office, and the Office of the General Secretary.  The
United Methodist Church's total annual support to the NCC, including
to its Church World Service and Witness and National Ministries
units, totals about $2.5 million.

 Today's announcement affirms the GCCUIC's satisfaction that
the NCC "has made extensive changes and is now essentially in
compliance" with required steps for restoration of funding."

Welcoming the announcement, the Rev. Dr. Joan B. Campbell, NCC
General Secretary, said, "In this year we have identified historic
problems in the financial infrastructure of the NCC and have taken
the often difficult steps to make much needed changes.  The United
Methodists, quite rightly, pushed us to complete this task.  Their
concern for the fiscal stability of the Council is appropriate for a
member communion.  We have dedicated extensive time and effort to
answering their difficult questions, and are pleased that the
conditions that they set for their continuing financial support have
been met.  We are grateful that we are able to close 1999 with the
blessing of this major contributor."

 Affirmed the Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar, who Jan. 1 will become NCC
General Secretary, "We are delighted that the United Methodists have
reviewed the new structures and financial controls that we've put in
place and have been assured of the financial stability of the NCC.
We look forward to working with all the member communions as we re-
vision the ecumenical movement for the 21st century."
-end-
 -0-