From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Painting of Dark-Skinned Jesus Wins Magazine Contest

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 16 Dec 1999 20:06:01

16-December-1999
99428

    Painting of Dark-Skinned Jesus Wins Magazine Contest

    National Catholic Reporter "updates" image of Christ

    by Religion News Service

WASHINGTON - A painting of a dark-skinned Jesus has been chosen as the
winner of the National Catholic Reporter's contest to update the image of
Christ for the year 2000.

    The magazine calls the winning image a "more gentle Jesus ... modeled
on a woman" rather than the muscular male image of the Renaissance.

    The work of the winner, Janet McKenzie of Island Pond, Vt., was
considered the top choice from 1,678 entries from 1,004 artists in 19
countries.

    "`Jesus of the People' simply came through me," she said in a
statement.  "I feel as though I am only a vehicle for its existence."

    The independent newsweekly based in Kansas City, Mo., launched the
competition to counter the hype about millennium parties and computer bugs
and turn the focus to Jesus, on whose birth the date is based.

    "Jesus of the People," which garnered the $2,000 first prize, was
chosen by Sister Wendy Beckett, an art expert who has hosted a BBC
television series.

    "This is a haunting image of a peasant Jesus - dark, thick-lipped,
looking out on us with ineffable dignity, with sadness but with
confidence," she wrote of the winner.

    Michael Farrell, editor of the newsweekly, commented on the meaning
behind the painting: "When the church was overwhelmingly a Western
institution, we in the West made Jesus in our likeness," he said. "But now
at last Christianity has spread to the ends of the Earth as the founder
once prayed it would.

    "Much of the church's energy, and new vocations, have moved from Europe
and the U.S.A. to the Third World, so perhaps this work of art is a preview
of how Christianity will flourish, and what kind of divinity it will look
up to, as the next millennium unfolds."

    Entries for the contest ranged in artistic media from oil to cloth to
computer creations to burnt toast.  They depicted Jesus as a carpenter, a
clown, and a death-row inmate and placed him on television, dancing in the
streets of Jerusalem with an Arab, and sawing down his own cross.

    Sister Wendy acknowledged choosing one image was a challenge.

    "Let me emphasize that each of these works truly speaks of Jesus to our
age," she said.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org