From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Black congregations share information

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 17 Dec 1999 10:20:49

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-187

Black congregations share information and affirmation

by Lynn Collins

     (ENS) Three hundred participants gathered in early November
at the Kanuga Conference Center at Hendersonville, North
Carolina, to learn models and resources for developing and
nourishing black congregations in the Episcopal Church.

     The first Transformation and Renewal Conference, the product
of three years of work led by Frank Turner, suffragan bishop of
Pennsylvania, and Delois Ward of Washington, D.C., former chair
of the National Commission on Social and Specialized Ministries
in the Episcopal Church, was the third major black leadership
conference in 1999. The UBE/Bishop Primo Leadership Conference
prepared black leaders for service and a conference sponsored by
the Office of Black Ministries challenged black clergy to reflect
on and prepare for the future.

     November's conference began with remarks by the keynote
speaker, the Rev. Dr. Kortright Davis, who declared, "Afro-
Anglicans are those whom God has blessed with ebony grace….Euro-
Anglicans are those whom God has blessed with ivory grace." The
importance of ebony and ivory grace is an issue of identity--of
who one is when one meets God in prayer--and how we worship, he
said. "Congregations identifiable by their cultural and ethnic
heritage are neither a social phenomenon nor an exotic
arrangement."

     Davis elaborated on this affirmation of uniqueness and
acceptance, saying that such congregations can offer a holistic,
Gospel-based, authentic, cultural ministry that serves the wider
community in the name of Jesus Christ.

Difference and commonality

     As the three-day conference went on it addressed many
aspects of congregational ministry and the particular challenges
facing black, or predominantly black, congregations. Participants
from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds gathered in small
groups to tell their stories and find commonalities in ministry.

Presentations on evangelism, stewardship, community outreach,
young adults and mission strategy stimulated the creative juices
of the participants.

     Black congregations and West Indian congregations with black
priests, integrated congregations with black priests, and black
congregations with Euro-American priests talked with Euro-
American congregations serving black communities.

     Winnona Woods, from St. Timothy's Church, Detroit, said she
was delighted. "This let me know we are on the right track! We
are a small black church, and being here I know we are all in the
same struggle." The Diocese of Michigan, in fact, recently
elected Wendell Gibbs, Jr., an Afro-Anglican, as bishop
coadjutor.

     Participants identified issues of concern, including the
ability of churches to be electronically connected and computer-
literate; non-Afro-Anglican clergy serving in black
congregations; Euro-Anglican parishes serving black communities;
recruitment and deployment of black clergy; the shortage of young
black clergy; the lack of training for black lay leaders; and the
need for black congregations to gather and share their stories.

Looking for information

     "We came prepared to take back as much information as
possible," said Jeannette Brown, assistant to the Bishop of
Connecticut for diocesan ministry and social witness. The diocese
was represented by 29 people from several parishes. "This
conference is long overdue," said the Rev. Trevor Babbs, rector
of St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Bridgeport, who also attended
the Black Clergy Conference, "Jeannette Brown coordinated us and,
with the diocese' help, we have come together, completed a case
study, and are sharing our ideas and gifts."

     Jane Libby, a white member of St. Philip's Episcopal Church,
Annapolis, Maryland, was excited. The church had just called a
new rector who is a black woman, the Rev. Angela Shepherd, she
said, adding, "St. Philip's Church is breaking new ground to
build a new Life Center building.

     "This is a learning experience," said Libby, "There is no
right way [to do ministry]. The small group sharing was one of
the most outstanding aspects of this conference."

     Local black congregations also attended the conference,
including representatives of churches whose members were victims
of the flooding caused by Hurricane Floyd. The conference held a
special offering for St. Luke's Church in Tarboro, North
Carolina. Reggie Moss, Jr., warden of St. Luke's, fought back

tears as he said, "There are no words to describe the stench of still
water, broken walls and washed-away homes. No one expected
this to happen."

     For that church and for other victims of the floods,
conference participants eventually raised more than $5,100.

--The Rev. Lynn Collins is staff officer for Black Ministries for
the Episcopal Church.