From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal youth teaching lessons in generosity

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 17 Dec 1999 10:20:52

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-192

Fund finds church's youth teaching their elders lessons in
generosity

by Kathryn McCormick and Jerry Hames

     (ENS) It began with kids' nickles, dimes and dollars, tithed
from summertime allowances and money earned from chores.
Teenagers added funds tithed from summer jobs. It made a tidy
sum, to be given, in a lesson in stewardship, to a school for
blind children in Africa.

     But the Diocese of Utah didn't let matters end there. With
their children leading them, adults in the diocese took up Bishop
Carolyn Irish's challenge to raise funds for the school, seeking
to meet the goal of $1,200 needed to finance a month's worth of
"the basic necessities of food, clothing and medicine" for the
school's 175 students. The request, by St. Lucy's School in
Kenya, is a Project for Hope sponsored by the Presiding Bishop's
Fund for World Relief.

     Officials in half of Utah's 20 parishes decided to multiply
their young people's collections by 10 times before forwarding
the money to the diocesan office.

     That action, in turn, inspired the diocesan convention last
October to multiply that figure by 10, resulting in a $62,000--
yes, $62,000--check for the Presiding Bishop's Fund, officials of
which immediately notified St. Lucy's School.

     "It was wonderful to do this, but it also brought home just what
tithing means. When all was said and done we learned a lot
about the idea of stewardship," said the Rev. Jeff Sells, editor
of Diocesan Dialogue, the diocesan newspaper.

     "We are just delighted," said Joyce Hogg, the Presiding
Bishop's Fund's director of networks and special projects, who
quickly added that Utah's young people weren't the only ones
coming to the aid of those in need.

Helping those they've never seen

     Across the nation, other children's and youth groups engaged
in a multitude of activities in recent months to raise money for
the Presiding Bishop's Fund.

     "I get turned on by what the kids do," said Hogg. "I think
it's really amazing, for example, that 7-year-old children want
to raise money for people in country they've never seen."

     Through fundraisers, sacrificial offerings and pledges,
young people raised thousands for the Presiding Bishop's Fund in
the past year.

     At one Episcopal school, students "paid" $450 for the
privilege of wearing jeans instead of school uniforms, and sent
the proceeds for disaster relief in Central America. At another
Episcopal school in Dallas, students raised $3,500 by
"sacrificing" something they would normally buy.

     At St. Mary's School in Raleigh, North Carolina, boarding
students raised $650 from a "penny wars" game and another $600
during a sustenance day when they ate only bread, beans, rice and
water.

     Juniors at Oakland Mills High School, Columbia, Maryland,
sent $54 from proceeds of a car wash and bake sale to assist
Kosovo refugees. A competition between 30 boys and girls Thirty
children from St. Philip's Episcopal Church, Hinesville, Georgia,
raised another $80 for victims of the Kosovo tragedy.

     Parishioners at All Saints-by-the-Sea, Santa Barbara,
California, asked parishioners to support a youth fast and
received 250 pledges ranging from $2 to $500 for people made
homeless in Honduras by Hurricane Mitch. During the fast, the
youth watched the video produced by the fund.

     "Doing this makes me think about what other people feel and
how lucky I am to have what I have," said 16-year-old Ariel
Curtin. "By fasting, it's like I'm feeling what they feel every
day."

     After the 24-hour fast, the youth, who also assembled 200 health
kits, celebrated the Eucharist and enjoyed a baked potato
supper.

     Three thousand miles away, in Darien, Connecticut, a 7-year-
old boy's dream to help needy children in Puerto Rico and the
Dominican Republic after Hurricane Georges resulted in a bike-a-
thon that raised $500. Eighteen neighborhood children, aged 2 to
12, participated on rollerblades, bicycles and tricycles.

     Another 7-year-old mailed to the fund a scrawled note, with
money he made from selling lemonade, and requested it be sent to
refugees in Kosovo.

     These victims were also on the minds of many others. In
Brenham, Texas, children of St. Peter's Episcopal Church sold
artwork, clay crosses and plants, while in Ramsey, New Jersey, a
children's outreach group of St. John's Memorial Church raised
$573 and a special collection by the congregation added another
$3,028 for those uprooted by the war.

     Some letters are sent to Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold.
"We decided we were not powerless to help [people in need] and
took appropriate measures," said six children from a cathedral
Sunday school. "We made a poster, gathered fruit and baked goods
and asked our church community to make a freewill offering.

     "We are changed by helping people in need," they told him.
"Becoming servants of Christ let us come together and make a
difference.

     "P.S. Please write back and give us more ideas," they ended.

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of News and Information
for the Episcopal Church; Jerry Hames is the editor of Episcopal
Life, the church's national monthly newspaper.