From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Council for Women's Ministries

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 17 Dec 1999 10:21:31

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-183

Council for Women's Ministries adopts a new, unified vision

by Marcy Darin

     (ENS) The Council for Women's Ministries, an umbrella
organization of more than 30 Episcopal women's groups, has
approved a dramatic restructuring that would open its gatherings
to all Episcopal women, regardless of organizational affiliation.

     The far-reaching decision came at the group's 25th meeting
held November 18-21 at the Duncan Conference Center in Delray
Beach, Florida, where 44 women leaders affirmed the new vision
for CWM, founded in 1983 to provide a support network and advance
women's ministries in the Episcopal Church.

     Since its first meeting, CWM has invited two or three
representatives of each group, including presidents, to
participate in the now-annual gatherings.

     "Now all Episcopal women can be part of one body," said Ann
Smith, director of the national office of Women in Mission and
Ministry, which has provided financial and organizational support
for CWM. "We're doing real Gospel-based organizing, guided by the
Holy Spirit. We have no idea what our structure will look like--
our structure will follow our function."

     The move came a year and a half after leaders of six
different women's organizations began meeting to find ways to
unify their ministries.

     Before leaving the November gathering, CWM participants
began laying groundwork for its first gathering of the new
millennium, "Episcopal Women Uniting in Christ," to be held
November 30 through December 3, 2000, at Kanuga Conference Center
in Hendersonville, North Carolina. The center can accommodate up
to 450 women, Smith said.

A 'resurrection'

     Sue Schlanbush, national president of the 18,000-member
Daughters of the King (USA), called the open-invitation CWM a

"resurrection." "Women in the 21st century will be given new
opportunities for growth. Things that are dying are reborn again,
and we need to celebrate the rebirth."

     Jane Banning, national president of the Episcopal Church
Women, praised CWM members for living into "its promise to be one
body in Christ," a reference to the First Corinthians passage
that was the focus of a bible study by conference participants.

     "It's nice to have a dinner where everyone is invited," said
Banning, one of several presidents of women's organizations who
have sought to construct a unified vision for women's ministries,
which leaders concede had become fragmented.

     The new vision came in response to a question posed by Ginny
Doctor, a WIMM consultant from the Diocese of Alaska, who
challenged the gathering, "We're only 44 of the 1.5 million women
in the Episcopal Church. How do we reach the others?"

     After endorsing the new CWM format, participants organized
themselves in groups around common interests, or "passions."

     Among the most popular was "Global Home Economics," which
explored ways in which U.S. women and men can support efforts to
improve the status of workers in poor countries through
responsible consumerism and advocacy.

     "How do you justify paying $100 for Nike shoes when workers
are getting just pennies a day?" asked Gerry Sweeting, a DOK
member from Carol City, Florida.

Responsible consumerism

     Organizers are preparing a resource packet to be made
available through WIMM that provides a theological perspective,
as well as suggestions for practicing responsible consumerism.
Included in the package is the video "Disney Goes to Haiti,"
which examines working conditions and pay of workers employed by
Disney in Haitian factories.

     "A nightgown with a design of Pocahontas will cost you $9 in
this country, while someone in Haiti is making only 28 cents a
day to produce nine of these," explained Pauline Muchina, a WIMM
consultant on economic justice issues from Kenya who is also a
doctoral candidate at Union Theological Seminary in New York
City.

     The discussion took place just one week after an ecumenical
coalition of U.S. churches successfully moved major debt relief
agreements through the budget negotiations of a reluctant

Congress. The Episcopal Church was instrumental in the effort that
is hoped will provide about $90 billion in debt forgiveness
to poor countries.

     Several passion groups concentrated on efforts to support a
unified vision of women's ministries, among these, the
development of "Every Woman Counts," a database of all Episcopal
women, and a computerized volunteer network. Efforts are also
under way to improve the WIMM web page (www.dfms.org/women),
which will offer links to all CWM organizations.

New magazine on spirituality

     Participants also heard of preliminary efforts to launch a
new magazine on spirituality for all Episcopal women, which will
merge the existing Journal of Women's Ministries and the ECW
Communique. The premier issue will be distributed at the General
Convention in July, 2000.

     Participants also drafted a marketing plan for a collection
of prayers and meditations by Episcopal women published by
Morehouse, which will be available at the convention. Proceeds
from the sale of Women's Uncommon Prayers: Our Lives Revealed,
Nurtured, Celebrated will benefit programs that assist victims
and survivors of domestic violence.

     An integral part of the new unified vision for women's
ministries is the adoption of a fund-raising plan in which CWM
participants were asked to transfer their phone service to Excel
Communications/Teleglobe. In return, the Episcopal Women's
Foundation, a non-profit organization funding programs for women
and girls, would receive donations generated by the Seedlings
Foundation, a non-profit organized in February, 1999, that has
benefited such groups as the Special Olympics and Youth
Basketball Association of America.

     Schlanbush, who asked CWM participants to transfer their
service and encourage their networks to do the same, said the
plan would generate funds for leadership training programs and
other ministries undertaken by existing women's church
organizations.

     "This is a wonderful program that will enable women to raise
monies the likes of which we've never seen as Episcopal women,"
she said. "We're just asking women to redirect monies they are
already spending for communication services." Those interested in
learning more about the Seedlings plan or in signing on were
encouraged to phone the Seedlings Foundation at (888) 718-3297,
ext. 999.

Reaching younger women

     Reflecting the group's intent to incorporate younger women,
a passion group focused on women seminarians.

     "Our focus is so academic, we don't learn about women's
models of leadership at seminary," observed Vanessa Glass, a 27-
year-old student at Church Divinity School of the Pacific, where
women make up 70 percent of the student body. Glass, who said she
didn't see women preside at the altar until she was in college,
proposed that a WIMM representative be named for each seminary
class.

     "I'm afraid that women will forget the stories--the work
that our foremothers did in this church."

     Asserting that a funding reduction and loss of status
threatens to "disempower the place of women's ministry within the
Episcopal Church," CWM participants signed a letter to Presiding
Bishop Frank Griswold requesting that funding for the national
women's office be restored as well as its status as a separate
program entity. The office, established in 1984 as an executive-
level program, has lost funding for a second staff position and
has operated since 1995 as part of the Congregational Development
Cluster at the Episcopal Church Center in New York City.

     "Women's voices are not being heard at decision-making
levels," explained Marge Burke, chair of the national Committee
on the Status of Women and a former ECW national president. "In
the secular world, generalists are not acceptable. Why then
should we become generalists at the Episcopal Church Center?"

     As participants retrieved personal mementos they had placed
on the center altar at the beginning of the meeting--photos of
loved ones, sea shells, a painted hoop--there seemed to be
infusion of hope at the conclusion of the gathering.

     "The richness and vastness of all these leaders in one room
has been a blessing for me," observed Ning Bonoan, who
represented the Asian Women's Convocation as a first-time
participant. Bonoan, who lives in Tampa, Florida, but was raised
in the Philippines, hopes to present workshops in her diocese on
global home economics.

     "This has given me insight into what I am called to do," she
said.

--Marcy Darin, a freelance writer, is editor of the Journal of
Women's Ministries.