From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

First session of Stone-Campbell Dialogue offers promise in shared

From "Office of Communications"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 21 Dec 1999 12:32:47

history and confession
Date:  December 21, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
{This release authored by the Rev. Robert Welsh in collaboration with
other participants in the dialogue.}

99a-82

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- The first of three sessions of a dialogue among the
three streams of the Stone-Campbell movement took place in Indianapolis,
Ind. at the Disciples Center on Nov. 29-30, 1999.

	Six members of each of the three churches -- the "a capella" Churches of
Christ, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and the independent
Christian Churches/Churches of Christ -- shared worship together and spent
time getting acquainted with each other, first as individuals and then as
church traditions.

	A major part of this meeting was to receive papers from historians in
each of the three churches looking at the question, "What we might have
done differently in the past?"  Doug Foster, Abilene Christian University,
presented the statement from the perspective of the Churches of Christ;
Newell Williams, Christian Theological Seminary, offered reflections from
the perspective of the Disciples of Christ; and Henry Webb, Milligan
College, addressed the topic from the perspective of the "independents."

	In each of these three statements there was a strong element of
confession over the division that has occurred within the Stone-Campbell
movement that claims Christian unity as a hallmark of its witness.
Additionally, each historian identified specific actions and attitudes
within their own tradition that have contributed to the past separations
and regrettable division.

Doug Foster identified five things that Churches of Christ might have done
differently:
•	 We might have refused to allow the issues of missionary societies and
instrumental music in worship to push us to vilify and excommunicate each
other.
•	We might have realized that the controversies were complex and went well
beyond the surface issues of instrumental music and missionary societies.
•	We might have avoided the vitriolic, inflammatory language that impugned
the motives of fellow believers.
•	We might have held more strongly to our heritage of seeing ourselves as
‘Christians only but not the only Christians' instead of adopting a
sectarian exclusive understanding of the church.
•	We might have refused to act as if assent to a set of doctrines IS
Christianity and the Christian life.

In a similar presentation, Newell Williams named three things Disciples
might have done differently in relation to divisive forces in the history
of the Stone-Campbell movement:  "First, we might have eschewed
‘ecclesiastical politics' in favor of education and discussion of the
issues. . .  Second, we might have paid more attention to the Gospel. (By
the Gospel, I mean the good news of what God has done for us in Jesus
Christ). . . Third, we might have given more attention to our
Stone-Campbell tradition, a tradition that has two foci -- union and
restoration," the Disciples scholar said.

In his paper, Henry Webb reviewed the long history that lead to the
separation of "independents" from "Disciples," beginning with the events
surrounding the 1926 International Convention in Memphis, moving through
the decade of the ‘40s that was marked by growing bitterness and conflict,
and culminating in the official break at the 1949 Centennial Convention in
Cincinnati, with the North American Convention becoming exclusively an
independent convention in 1951.  It was a difficult and painful story to
hear, and yet, Dr. Webb concluded with "learnings" from "this regrettable
series of events," including:

We have not yet learned how to deal with extremists.  Some of them are
blunt and harsh; others are suave but equally persistent . . . Too often
their shrill voices have drowned out the more temperate message of the
reasonable majority.  I look back with sorrow at the leadership vacuum
that enabled the tragic events of 1945-1951 to happen. The Via Media had
no voice, no leadership . . .

We have not yet learned how to manage conflicts other than to ‘let nature
take its course', which can be devastating.  How to direct passion in
behalf of the larger consensus and to disagree without becoming
disagreeable is a quest we seemingly will be passing on to the next
generation.  Perhaps we can make some initial progress here and in so
doing establish a refreshing, new precedent.

As members of the dialogue discussed these statements and their
commonalities, there was general agreement with several basic conclusions
identified in the three reports:

•	Division is essentially an attitude.  So is unity.  I pray that these
meetings will promote an attitude of understanding and unity that will
glorify the One who prayed that his followers be one."  (Foster)

•	If we had paid more attention to the Gospel, we would have demonstrated
greater love for others, including others in the Stone-Campbell movement
with whom we disagreed. By giving more attention to the restoration theme,
we would have helped others in the Movement to see more clearly that we,
too, are a people who seek to live in continuity with the apostolic
witness to what God has done in Jesus Christ."  (Williams)

•	Thankfully, a new generation of leaders is no longer threatened by
meeting with ‘the enemy'; in fact, we no longer find such categorization
to be the least bit appropriate.  Perhaps the time has come when we, who
have not personally shared in these old conflicts, can enjoy the luxury of
a more dispassionate and rationale perspective . . .

•	We may be privileged to explore new possibilities for rapprochement
that, frankly, would have horrified our forbears of a generation or two
ago.  (Webb)

The next meeting of the dialogue will take place in Nashville, Tenn., on
June 1-2, 2000.  It will be hosted by the members of the Churches of
Christ.  The theme of that session will be to look at the "common ground"
that exists between us.

The statement of purpose for the dialogue was re-affirmed: "To develop
relationship and trust within the three streams of the Stone-Campbell
movement through worship and through charitable and frank dialogue ‘that
the world may believe.'"

Members of the dialogue included: From the Churches of Christ -- Mike
Armour, pastor, Dallas;  Doug Foster, professor, Abilene, Texas; Jimmie
Sites, pastor, Nashville, Tenn.; Phillip Morrison, editor, Franklin, Tenn;
and David Worley, professor, Austin, Texas.

^From the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) -- Richard Hamm, general
minister and president, Indianapolis, Ind.; Robert Welsh, ecumenical
officer, Indianapolis, Ind; Peter Morgan, president of Historical Society,
Nashville, Tenn.;  Newell Williams, professor, Indianapolis, Ind.; Sharon
Watkins, pastor, Bartlesville, Okla.; and Raymond Brown, retired general
staff executive, Indianapolis, Ind.

^From the independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ -- John Mills,
pastor, Brunswick, Ohio; Henry Webb, professor, Johnson City, Tenn.; James
North, professor, Cincinnati, Ohio; Susan Higgins, professor, Milligan,
Tenn.; Byron Lambert, retired pastor, Hagerstown, Ind.; and Robert Wetzel,
president, Emmanuel School of Religion, Johnson City, Tenn.

Invited Observers -- Lyndsay Jacobs, Co-General Secretary, World
Convention of Churches of Christ; and Victor Knowles, editor of "One Body"
magazine.

For further information, contact:  Dr. Mike Armour, 214-823-2179; Dr.
Robert Welsh, 317-635-3100; Dr. John Mills330-225-5268.

                                    	-- end --