From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PC(USA) Expects No Computer Glitches to Arrive with New Year

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 21 Dec 1999 20:03:23

21-December-1999
99433

    PC(USA) Expects No Computer Glitches
    to Arrive with New Year

    Officials say Y2K is nothing to get bugged about

    by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) officials are optimistic
that precautions taken across the denomination will ward off any Year 2000
computer glitches.

    From the Presbyterian Center here to synod offices and presbyteries
across the nation, officials say computer systems have been fixed or
upgraded and should be ready for the new millennium. The fear is that the
start of 2000 could cause problems in some computer systems that may read
the new year as 1900.

    "My gut feeling is that we're in fairly good shape," said Kathy
Lueckert, deputy executive director of the General Assembly Council (GAC)
and coordinator of the denomination's Y2K task force. "But we are somewhat
dependent on what happens to us from the outside with utilities. We should
be able to be up and running with few problems after the first of the year,
but if major utilities, particularly electric, gas, water and telephone,
have trouble, then we'll have trouble."

    The task force, called into action by GAC's audit committee, has worked
for more than two years to assure that systems programmed at the center can
handle the changeover and recognize "00" as 2000. New computers and
software patches for old ones have helped maintain readiness. Barring
outside problems, the denomination's nerve center should experience no
disruptions.

    This means that popular computer-based systems, such as PresbyNet,
which provides online access to electronic discussions, news and
publications, should be resistant to the millennium bug, as too should
PC(USA)'s World Wide Web site (www.pcusa.org).

    "We have done everything we can," said the Rev. Merrill Cook, the
system administrator. "If something breaks, we'll fix it."

    PresbyTel, an information service of the church that uses telephone
consultants, should also be unaffected, thanks to a newly installed
automated telephone system at the center.

    Meanwhile, if you are a retired minister or church employee, don't
worry, the millennium bug is not expected to cause a delay in processing
benefits.

    "I don't see that happening," said Dom Palladino, chief information
officer for the Board of Pensions (BOP), which provides such services as
pension income, death benefits, disability protection, medical benefits
coverage and income supplements, and assistance for the emergency needs of
former church workers.

    Advance notice and careful planning has helped BOP deal with Y2K
computer issues. In 1994, officials conducted a strategic systems plan "and
what we did was, we went outside and really purchased all of our software
and we got out of the custom software programming business. We made sure
whoever we purchased from had Y2K compliant systems," Palladino said.

    Board officials, who also prepared computers for leap year in 2000,
recently commissioned a project to test all facilities as an additional
precautionary measure. They also are working with companies that provide
services to BOP - such as hospitals, HMOs, banks and investment managers -
to ensure that they have plans to fully comply with Y2K requirements. No
snags have been reported.

    "We have already begun to process business dates into the next
millennium correctly," Palladino said.

    Presbytery of Monmouth officials in Tennent, N.J., are confident they
can withstand an attack of the millennium bug. That's because they replaced
the office's six computers and server last summer.

    "We are set for Y2K," said Nancy Rodman, the presbytery's Resource
Center director. "What we did first of all was bought all new computers,
because we were simply not compliant. We had very old computers. We were
going to crash when the year turned to 2000."

    Upgrading to avoid the Y2K bug has been a bonus for the presbytery,
allowing it to plan an Internet presence in the new millennium.

    "In addition to getting us Y2K compliant, it means that we will shortly
have a web page, which we did not have," Rodman said. "It means that we
will be on e-mail, which we were not."

    Presbytery officials also held a workshop to instruct congregations on
ways they can help around the community in the event of a Y2K crisis.

    It's the same story at the Synod of the Sun in Denton, Texas, where all
systems are go.

    "We checked all the machines to make sure that they could handle the
year 2000, plus handle the leap year calculation," said Billy Ham, the
synod's network administrator. "As far as we're concerned we pretty much
have taken care of the problem."

    Ham said officials there started checking for potential Y2K threats
last year, finding that one accounting package could not handle the
changeover to 2000.

    "I feel like at this point we have taken care of all the problems we
could anticipate," he said. "If something does come up, we will have to
simply deal with it. I don't think life is going to come to a screeching
halt."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org