From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Cambodian Government Honors CWS

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 22 Dec 1999 10:23:24

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

Contact:  NCC News, 212-870-2227
  Photos Available

130NCC12/22/99
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CAMBODIAN GOVERNMENT HONORS CWS

 Dec. 22, 1999, NEW YORK CITY ---- Twenty years ago,
when Phnom Penh lay in ruins after years of war and
Cambodian people were in the grip of widespread famine,
representatives from several non-governmental agencies flew
in to assess humanitarian needs.

 "There was no electricity and no water, and the relief
workers fanned out in the city then got back on the plane to
bring back reports to their agencies," recalled the Rev. Dr.
Rodney Page, Executive Director of Church World Service
(CWS), the relief and development arm of the National
Council of Churches (NCC).  "But one representative stayed
behind and lived there for six months:  Perry Smith of
Church World Service and CWS is still there."

Church World Service was among 10 NGOs honored at a
ceremony held in The Chaktomuk Hall in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
on November 18, during which Cambodian Prime Minister
Samdech Hun Sen highlighted the "close partnership and
strong solidarity which exists between the Royal Government
of Cambodia and the NGO community."

 In attendance were representatives from the 10 non-
governmental organizations (NGOs), including Dr. Page, Ms.
Linda Hartke and Mr. Howard Jost of Church World Service.
Ms. Hartke served as CWS Country Director in Cambodia from
1992-1997 and is currently CWS Director of Programs and
Operations.  Mr. Jost is the current CWS Country Director in
Cambodia.

Dr. Page helped give the traditional offerings to monks
in a morning ceremony and handed the customary flowers to
traditional court dancers in the afternoon ceremony.  Ms.
Hartke shared remembrances from Lonnie Turnipseed, former
CWS Southern Asian Director, who told of innovative projects
like recruiting veterinarians through partner churches in
Cuba to help organize and train staff in Cambodia in a
Veterinary Department.  Ms. Hartke also looked to the
future, saying, "Cambodian villagers, though still among the
poorest in the world, live in hope.  There is pride in what
they have accomplished and dignity as they tell their
story."

 Prime Minister Hun Sen praised the past and continuing
humanitarian work of the NGOs, employing a Cambodian saying,
"a good friend singled out during hardship."  He noted that
not only did the agencies provide direct service and aid,
but served as an alternative conduit for international
diplomacy since for many years the Khmer Rouge occupied the
nation's seat at the United Nations.

 Today, CWS continues to support projects as varied as
community development, animal health and production, and
mine clearance and awareness.  According to Ms. Hartke, who
visited several projects during her recent visit, things
have definitely improved.

 "I told the Cambodians I visited that I am like the
wayward aunt who has been away for several years and returns
to say, `My, how you've grown,'" Ms. Hartke said.  "I find
that the standard of living is improving, with electricity
and water improved and access to education continuing to
increase.  There is now glass in windows, which wasn't true
for so many years."  Perhaps the most remarkable improvement
Ms. Hartke noted was in the security situation.  "We were
actually invited to a community meeting that took place
after dark.  That would never have happened in the past."

 At the same time, Ms. Hartke said, "The gap between
rich and poor is increasing, with more evidence of extreme
wealth and extreme poverty.  It is remarkable the number of
BMWs you now see in Phnom Penh."

 Also, though things have improved economically, there
are still sociopolitical strides that need to be made.  "The
root issue now is rule of law," Ms. Hartke said.  "There
needs to be a functioning legislature, executive bodies and
an independent judiciary.  We are working with staff and
local partners to encourage this idea of building a
democratic infrastructure along with the physical
infrastructure."

 For instance, Church World Service projects include the
election of village development committees.  These bodies
follow democratic principles to decide on the top
development priorities of the village.  Self Help Groups
allow technical and organizational skills to be transferred
to local volunteer workers.

 Just as it did when Perry Smith first set foot in
Cambodia in 1979, CWS continues to put "humanitarian spirit
above political considerations," as Prime Minister Hun Sen
said of the NGOs in his speech.  To the NGOs, he said, "You
all are both witnesses and participants in the tremendous
efforts displayed by a strong and unexhausted will, to work
hand in hand with the Cambodian people for the
rehabilitation and reconstruction of a country ravaged by
wars, genocide, isolation and embargo."

-end-
 -0-