From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Y2K Resources Available; ELCA Churchwide Offices Closed Jan. 3

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 23 Dec 1999 15:16:11

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

December 21, 1999

NEW Y2K RESOURCES AVAILABLE; ELCA CHURCHWIDE OFFICES CLOSED JAN. 3
99-318-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- New resources are available on the World Wide
Web site of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) to help
members respond in faith to Y2K concerns and the start of the new
century in 2001.
     The updates are on the "AD2K" Project Web site at
www.elca.org/dcs/ad2k. AD2K stands for "In the Year of Our Lord, 2000."
The project is directed by Raymond Mueller, Abiding Peace Lutheran
Church, Budd Lake, N.J., through the ELCA New Jersey Synod and the ELCA
Division for Church in Society.
     New items on the Web site include a reproducible bulletin insert
for congregational use; reflections on how the ELCA can be of service to
others as the new century arrives; and links to new resources about Y2K,
Mueller said.
     The newest bulletin insert,  "Preparing for the Year of Our Lord
2000" emphasizes spiritual preparation and also refers to the ELCA
bishops' pastoral letter, "The Year of Our Lord 2000," issued in October
1998.  Two previous bulletin inserts, also on the Web site, provide
introductory information about the Y2K issue and ways to address
concerns about it.
     The Web site includes a number of Bible references.  The new
resources include links to ELCA materials on Y2K, links to other Web
sites, on-line articles about Y2K and basic resource preparations for
Y2K.  A Y2K sermon, delivered Nov. 21 by the Rev. Amandus J. Derr, St.
Peter Lutheran Church, New York, is available from the Web site.
     "The mission of AD2K is to provide assistance so that, trusting in
God's promise to be with us, we may be peacemakers as we respond to Y2K,
loving our neighbors as ourselves and serving those most in need,"
Mueller said.  AD2K supports education and spiritual and physical
preparedness for the anxieties and possible disruptions of Y2K, he said.
     According to Mueller, AD2K calls on ELCA members to trust in God,
not in material things; to consider ongoing emergency preparedness as
congregations and as individuals; and consider how ELCA members can
serve people in need, especially those who are most vulnerable.
     Meanwhile, Monday, Jan. 3, the ELCA's churchwide offices in
Chicago will be closed for Y2K evaluations.  Personnel from the ELCA
Department for Information Technology will check computer and
information systems throughout the building.  Other systems to be
checked  are elevators, electrical, air conditioning, water and phone
systems, plus all copiers and postage meters, said Else Thompson,
director for the ELCA Department for Human Resources and Management
Services.
     ELCA churchwide offices reopen Jan. 4.

For information contact: