From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Robert V. Thompson new chair of Parliament of the World's Religions

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 29 Dec 1999 10:50:11

Dec. 27, 1999
Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions
Contact:  Mim Neal, 312 629 2990, mimneal@cpwr.org
http://www.cpwr.org

         CHICAGO  --  Less than a year after joining the Board of the
Council for a Parliament of the World's Religions (CPWR), Rev. Robert V.
Thompson has become its chair.  The Council's 75 trustees, religious and
spiritual leaders from all traditions, endorsed his leadership at a meeting
held during the 1999 Parliament in Cape Town, South Africa.

        More than 7,000 people from some 90 countries participated in the
Dec. 1 - 8 Parliament of the World's Religions, sampling more than 800
programs and presentations.   In particular, Thompson cited the plenary
sessions addressed by Nobel Laureates Nelson Mandela and His Holiness the
Dalai Lama.   "Collectively, we acknowledged the fundamental ties in which
we are all grounded."

       Pastor and Senior Minister at the Lake Street Church in Evanston,
Ill.,Thompson foresees a continuing, significant role for CPWR.  "The fact
that CPWR has been able to organize two major Parliaments in two very
different parts of the world demonstrates its viability.  The Council is
strategically placed to create a global network of metropolitan initiatives.

         "One of my first priorities," said Thompson, "will be strategic
planning.  We need to begin to have conversations with selected
metropolitan locations around the world, gathering information from which
to determine the site of the next Parliament  (in 2004)."

         "Using the Council's experience with the Metropolitan Chicago
Interreligious Initiative," he continued,  "we also intend to foster
interreligious dialogue at the community level.   The Council's focus is on
the grass roots, engaging spiritual communities at the local level.  That's
what keeps us honest.  That's what keeps it real."

         According to Thompson, the 1999 Parliament had several immediate
benefits for those attending.   "The real Parliament occurs in the
relational exchange among its participants, in developing and creating
networks.  I saw cards exchanged left and right.

         In addition, some of the presentations provided training for
grassroots leaders.  It was empowering as well as inspirational."

         Thompson said that CPWR is in a transitional phase.  "We are a new
and young organization.  We must learn from our accomplishments and grow
up.  My goal is to help the Parliament mature."

         The Council was created in the late 1980's to celebrate the first
Parliament of the World's Religions held in 1893 in association with the
Columbian Exposition.    The 1993 Parliament proved so beneficial to
participants that the Council was persuaded to hold the international
gatherings on a regular basis.  Simultaneously, the Council launched its
metropolitan initiative, fostering the creative encounter of religious and
spiritual groups in the community.

         The Council, concluded Thompson, " is not about confrontation.
It's about dialogue and understanding; creating community."  Thompson has
been active in Evanston and metropolitan Chicago social justice and
interreligious affairs for more than twenty years.

                                         #####
NOTE:  Rev. Thompson can be reached by cell phone, 847- 274 2547 or (after
Jan. 3) at the Lake Street Church, 847- 864 2181.

Ms. Mim Neal
Public Relations Manager

Mr. John Dart
Media Consultant - CPWR / California