From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

A statement on the murder of Private First Class Barry Winchell

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 24 Jan 2000 11:14:39

For more information contact:
kmccormick@dfms.org

2000-013

A statement on the murder of Private First Class Barry Winchell

     On the night of July 3, 1999, Private Barry Winchell, a
twenty-one-year-old soldier stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky,
was brutally murdered because he was gay. In violation of the
"Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue" policy of  the Department
of Defense regarding the sexual orientation and conduct of
service members, in violation of the military's good order and
discipline, and in violation of the most fundamental of human rights,
Barry Winchell was relentlessly taunted, harassed and
murdered in his sleep.

     We deplore this crime of hate and violence and call the
Army, the Department of Defense and the highest levels of our
government to create a command climate and military environment
where such violence cannot occur.

     More than four decades ago the Armed Forces of our nation
took the lead against crimes of discrimination and  racism in the
military. More than two decades ago the American military
addressed itself to the inequalities of gender bias. Today all
occupational specialties, except the most dangerous and
demanding, are open to both women and men. Now the Armed Forces
must create an environment where a person's sexual preference is
not the basis for discrimination, and where gays and lesbians
enjoy the same rights and security as heterosexual persons.

     At this season of Christmas, we remember not only the birth
of Jesus in Bethlehem, but also Herod's brutal slaughter of
countless innocent children. Barry Winchell's murder is an
example of the fear and hate and violence of which we are still
capable. There is no better way to honor the birth of Jesus than
to prepare a world where he can be born, nurtured and protected
in the birth and life of every person.

     The Rt. Rev. Charles L. Keyser

     Bishop for the Armed Forces

     The Rev. George E. Packard