From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Clear Vision conference

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 24 Jan 2000 11:16:55

For more information contact:
kmccormick@dfms.org

2000-006

Clear Vision conference catches imagination and fuels positive
changes for Church

by Carol E. Barnwell

     (ENS) Camp Allen, situated in the piney woods of the Texas
hill country, again played host to bishops and their staffs
seeking a new, revitalized vision for their dioceses. "Encore, A

Clear Vision of One Church," drew more than 250 participants for
the pre-Thanksgiving conference hosted by the Dioceses of Texas,
Virginia, Maryland and Tennessee.

     Sessions on visioning and church planting were augmented by
16 workshops and interactive panel discussions.  "This year's
conference was primarily a 'how to'," building on the "big
picture view" from last year's conference said Carolyn Dicer of
East Tennessee.

     Stuart Entwistle, director of financial development from the
Diocese of Maryland, was delighted at the "cross section of
church leadership" present at the conference.  "It's critical to
have insights about the strength of the church--to get a more
global view," he said.  "It's also rewarding to have the
opportunity to share my ministry with a different group and get
feedback--to know what I have can be of help to others."

     "We plan to plant a new church every year," said the Bishop
of Spain, Carlos Lopez, who brought four clergy and four lay
leaders with him. For 40 years, the Anglican Church in Spain was
forced underground by the government, he explained. "This
conference has helped us identify our maintenance mentality and
systemized our thoughts about what we must to do to transform the
culture of our Church."

     During a panel discussion on leadership, the Rev. Hugh
Magers, Evangelism Officer for the Episcopal Church, called for
Commissions on Ministry to become proactive in seeking younger
postulants.  Calling the clergy shortage "a crisis," he said a
bias against those younger than 35 has caused the problem. The
dichotomy between clergy and lay leadership was also raised.

     The Very Rev. Jim Lemler, President and Dean of Seabury
Western, called for more leadership education.  "Theological
education must equip leaders," he said, a sentiment echoed by the
Rev. Kevin  Martin, Canon for Mission and Congregational
Development in the Diocese of Texas.   "If ordination isn't about
leadership, then what is it about?" Martin asked, pointing out
that much of the current leadership in the Church is frozen in
place by a maintenance culture.  "If you look behind and no one
is following you, you're just out taking a walk," quipped Magers
in his characteristic dry humor.

     "We are delighted so many people were able to join us in
this most important work," said the Bishop Claude E. Payne, of
Texas.  "In this time of terrific spiritual hunger, we must move
into the future, united in our focus on mission and in reaching
those who are currently outside the Church." Payne's presentation
demonstrated how his "vision" has touched every aspect of church
life in the Diocese of Texas. Bishops Peter J. Lee and David C.

Jones of Virginia addressed church planting.  Bishops Robert Ihloff
of Maryland and Bertram Herlong of Tennessee led panel
discussions.

     Participants from 39 dioceses included four foreign
countries, Mexico, Uruguay, Spain and Honduras. Representatives
from the national Episcopal Church Center also attended.

-Carol E. Barnwell is editor of the Texas Episcopalian, the
newspaper of the Diocese of Texas.