From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

News Briefs

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 24 Jan 2000 11:16:58

For more information contact:
kmccormick@dfms.org

2000-008

News Briefs

Diocese of Washington honors Patti Brown

     (ENS) The Diocese of Washington has recognized the
outstanding dedication of Patricia Sparks Browning in her efforts
toward bringing peace to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. At its
annual Peacemakers Award Dinner on December 8, the diocesan
commission on peace honored Browning with its 1999 Peacemakers
award at a celebration attended by more than 100 supporters
across the diocese and the nation.

     Mrs. Browning accompanied her husband, then Presiding Bishop
Edmond L. Browning, on a visitation to the Diocese of Jerusalem
in 1986. Moved by the struggle of Palestinians to reclaim their
land, she began making regular pilgrimages, leading various
delegations, pleading with the church and government not to turn
a blind eye to the Palestinians who had lost their land and basic
human rights.

     In introducing Mrs. Browning, former ambassador to Zaire
Brandon Grove spoke of her work: "This was an appeal to
conscience, and reflected her commitment to peace and non-
violence. Patti stresses something we need to remember, although
it sounds deceptively simple: we are all one human family, and
suffering and injustice anywhere in the world touches us all."

     In her comments, Mrs. Browning reminded the group that "the
U.S. is Israel's closest ally and biggest benefactor, which
brings with it the responsibility for the U.S. to step up and be
an honest broker for a real peace on both sides."

     Mrs. Browning took her concerns to the church's General
Convention and went to Washington to make lawmakers aware of both
sides of the dispute. Through her efforts, the Episcopal Church

became a leader in advocating the rights of Palestinians to statehood
and their claim to Jerusalem as their capital to be shared with Israel.

     Previous recipients of this prestigious award include the
Most Rev. Desmond M. Tutu (1998), the Hon. Paul H. Nitze (1997)
and Marian Wright Edelman (1995).

     The commission on peace was founded in 1982 by Bishop John
T. Walker to develop and apply a Christian understanding of world
affairs. Through the work of various committees, the commission
serves as a focal point in Washington for peace and justice
representatives from the global Anglican Communion. In 1999, it
sponsored "A Future with Hope," the first-ever interfaith
conference on restorative justice.

Religious leaders ask retailers to eliminate sweatshop abuses

     (ENS) Leaders of five Canadian religious organizations
printed an open letter in December 1999 calling on the Hudson's
Bay Company and Sears Canada to take the lead in the negotiation
of a Canadian voluntary code of conduct and implementation of
principles to help eliminate sweatshop abuses in the apparel,
shoe and related consumer products industries.

     Leaders of the Anglican, Lutheran, Presbyterian and United
churches and the Canadian Council for Reform Judaism released a
message urging the companies to support the negotiation of a
Canadian code that includes minimum labor standards expressed in
International Labor Organization (ILO) conventions, and
provisions for independent verification that those standards are
being met.

     The Episcopal commission for social affairs of the Canadian
Conference of Catholic Bishops released a similar letter earlier.

     Retailers and apparel and shoe manufacturers have been
involved in code negotiations with labor, religious and non-
governmental organizations since May, when the federal government
agreed to convene and facilitate the process.

     Civil society organizations are represented in code
discussions by the Ethical Trading Action Group (ETAG), which
includes the Canadian Council for International Cooperation, the
Canadian Labor Congress, the Labor Behind the Label Coalition,
the Steelworkers Humanity Fund, Ten Days for Global Justice, and
the Union of Needletrades, Industrial and Textile Employees.

     In their open letter, the religious leaders express their
concern that without a strong commitment from industry leaders,
code discussions may not have positive outcomes. They call upon

the companies to provide renewed leadership in the multi-stakeholder
discussions for an effective and credible code of conduct. It read,
"Our members and other Canadians want verifiable assurances that
all consumer products sold in Canada are made under humane working
conditions."

Presiding Bishop's Fund now accepts contributions on-line

     (ENS) The Presiding Bishop's Fund for World Relief (PBFWR)
now accepts on-line contributions.

     The PBFWR, which raises, receives and distributes funds for
the relief of human suffering, included this alternative way of
giving to strengthen its ability to help people in need rapidly
and effectively.

      "On-line donations will give people an opportunity to
respond to a disaster or crisis immediately. Already many of us
turn to the web to get information and to purchase goods, why not
make contributions using the web," said Sandra Swan, executive
director of the PBFWR.

     To make contributions, donors simply go to the PBFWR web
site at www.pbfwr.org, click on the "Give Now" section to access
the on-line donation site and proceed to a secure server.

ABS introduces African-American Jubilee Bible

(American Bible Society) The American Bible Society introduced
the new African-American Jubilee edition of the Bible in
conjunction with a Jubilee celebration on December 26, 1999.

This edition of the Bible addresses the biblical understanding of
jubilee, offering commentary on African-American history, culture
and faith. It documents the African-American heritage of hope and
worship, chronicling African culture and tracing the presence of
Africans in the Bible, the period of slavery, achievements of
African-American church activism and the African-American
struggle around the world.

In addition to the Old and New Testaments, the Jubilee Bible
contains more than 300 pages of text and full-color
illustrations, available in King James or Contemporary English
versions.

Good Friday Offering

(ENS) In his annual Epiphany letter to all congregations,
Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold has asked that Episcopalians

continue to pray for their sisters and brothers in the Holy Land and to
support the Good Friday Offering as an opportunity to
demonstrate solidarity with Anglicans and all Christians in that
region of the world.

According to Griswold, "The words of the Bishop of Jerusalem, the
Rt. Rev. Riah Abu El-Assal, make plain the importance of the Good
Friday Offering: 'I would like to take the opportunity to share
my joy and express my appreciation to the Episcopal Church for
working so diligently to support the Diocese of Jerusalem. I have
no words to express my deep gratitude. Kindly convey my personal
thanks and that of the diocese, clergy and laity to all our
brothers and sisters in Christ who succeeded in breaking this
record.'"

Since its inception, the offering has provided financial support
to numerous ministries throughout the Middle East. Such as, the
Boulac Social Service Center at All Saints' Cathedral in Egypt
and a variety of programs in aid of Sudanese refugees in Eritrea
and Ethiopia.

Good Friday Offering materials are available through Episcopal
Parish Services at 800/903-5544.

     Bishop-elect of Diocese of Eastern Oregon resigns

     (ENS) The Rev. A. James MacKenzie, elected the sixth bishop
of the Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon at a December 4, 1999
convention, has resigned.

     Bishop Rustin Kimsey said in a letter to the diocese that
MacKenzie, rector of the Church of the Redeemer in Pendleton,
resigned as bishop-elect following "three weeks of attention to
the questions and issues before us" that had been raised about
MacKenzie's "appropriateness for this office."

     MacKenzie sent a letter to members of his parish and to the
3,700 Episcopalians in the diocese stating he had "engaged in
inappropriate e-mail exchanges with four women over the past two
years." The e-mails contained what he termed "unacceptable
'endearments' and 'romantic' allusions." He also admitted he was
not truthful when first asked about these circumstances. He went
on to say he deeply regretted the impact of his actions on the
church as well as on his wife and their three sons.

     As a result of a pastoral directive from Kimsey, MacKenzie
will immediately begin a three-month medical leave of absence as
Redeemer's priest. Kimsey said that he and the parish "are in
agreement to assist James MacKenzie in receiving the counseling
and spiritual guidance he needs to deal with these issues."

     MacKenzie was named one of four finalists for the bishop's post
after a national search process that lasted more that a
year.

Companion Diocese Network learns of strides in program

     (ENS) The struggle of a province toward autonomy and the
inevitable isolation when that autonomy has been achieved was one
area brought before the annual meeting of the Companion Diocese
Network at Waycross Episcopal Camp and Conference Center in
Indiana.

     Representatives of seven of the Episcopal Church's nine
provinces gathered to exchange the year's progress in companion
diocese relationships in their provinces. As in past years,
companion relationships have emphasized supporting education,
exchanging visits, setting up and operating medical clinics and
providing medical supplies, youth trips, vacation Bible schools
and special projects such as house building and church painting.

     According to a report, those present spoke highly of the
benefits received by both dioceses in a typical exchange, mostly
an increased understanding of culture and the sharing of
spiritual riches.

     Bishop Bill Skilton, of South Carolina, used the work of the
Dominican Development Group and its focus on self-help projects
to highlight the many difficulties facing provinces working
toward autonomy. Insufficient financial undergirding and
consequent maintenance-level funding for salaries, buildings and
program call for new and creative ways to do mission. Skilton
cited problems facing Haiti and Dominican Republic, a part of the
forming Province of the Caribbean. He said we must take seriously
the need to walk together with the churches of the emerging
provinces.

     Currently eight U.S. dioceses and 87 overseas dioceses are
seeking relationships. For information on formation, guidelines
and other aids, contact the Partnership Services Office at 815
Second Avenue, NY N.Y. 10017.

Special commission of WCC holds its first meeting

     (WCC) At the conclusion of its first meeting in Morges,
Switzerland, December 6 to 8, 1999, the Special Commission on
Orthodox Participation in the World Council of Churches released
a communique that identified the following four areas for
intensive study this year:

     *the organization of the WCC;

          *the style and ethos of our life together in the WCC;

          *theological convergences and differences between
Orthodox and other traditions in the WCC and

          *existing models and new proposals for a structural
framework for the WCC that would make possible meaningful
participation by Orthodox churches.

     The WCC's eighth assembly in Harare, Zimbabwe, created the
commission, which is composed of an equal number of
representatives appointed by Eastern and Oriental Orthodox
churches and representatives from the other member churches of
the WCC appointed by the Central Committee.

     Catholicos Aram I of the Armenian Apostolic Church (Cilicia)
and moderator of the WCC Central Committee, underscored that "the
Orthodox presence in the WCC has enlarged the scope of the
council's life and witness" and that the Orthodox churches in
turn "have been enriched by their ecumenical involvement."

     WCC General Secretary Konrad Raiser noted that this
commission marked the first time that the WCC created an official
body "with equal participation for the Orthodox churches and from
the other member churches in the WCC." He suggested that "never
before in its 50 years of history has the WCC taken its Orothodox
member churches as seriously as with this decision."

     The 60-member commission named a subcommittee, drawn from
its own membership, to prepare a report for its next plenary
meeting October 23 to 25.

Wisconsin ELCA, Catholic bishops respond to LCMS ad

     (ELCA) Six Wisconsin bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) placed a counter-advertisement in the
December 19, 1999 Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in response to the
critical advertisement from the Rev. A.L. Barry, president of the
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) concerning the Joint
Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification.

     The declaration, which was signed October 31, 1999 in
Augsburg, Germany, is a historic document that resolved one
disagreement that has divided Roman Catholics and Lutherans since
the early 1500s. The doctrine says "By grace alone, in faith in
Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we
are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our
hearts while equipping and calling us to good works."

     In the ad, the bishops said they were "saddened" to read
Barry's statements that the Roman Catholic Church teaches "that
something more than trust in Christ is necessary for us to be

saved." His ad also said the Roman Catholic Church teaches "we
are able to merit, through our works, eternal life for ourselves
and others."

     Barry's ad continues, "We believe this teaching obscures the
work of Jesus Christ and clouds the central message of the
Bible." It also said the LCMS is intent on working for the day
when "the pure Gospel of Jesus Christ" is proclaimed with one
voice.

     The Wisconsin ELCA and Roman Catholic bishops said Barry
misstated Roman Catholic beliefs. Their ad read, "We have learned
from our participation in ecumenical dialogues over the years the
need to express accurately and clearly the beliefs of our
partners as they understand them."

     The bishops acknowledged differences still exist between
Lutherans and Roman Catholics. They also pledged to work together
to examine other disagreements that have divided the churches.

People

     Dr. Joel L. Cunningham, president of Susquehanna University
in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, was elected the 15th vice
chancellor and president of the University of the South in
Sewanee, Tennessee, on January 6, by the board of trustees.

     Cunningham will succeed Dr. Samuel R. Williamson who retires
in June.