From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Parliament of the World's Religions in South Africa

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 24 Jan 2000 11:17:58

For more information contact:
kmccormick@dfms.org

2000-009

Parliament of the World's Religions in South Africa presses for
interfaith cooperation

by James Solheim

     (ENS) As meetings go, it is difficult to imagine a more
complex, fascinating, frustrating one than the Parliament of
World's Religions, which drew about 7,000 participants to Cape
Town, South Africa, the first week in December.

     A complex marketplace for nearly every major religion on earth,
including a few that might be new to most people, the
underlying themes were peace and interfaith cooperation,
especially in the face of increasing sectarian violence in some
parts of the world.

     The setting was crucial to the meeting, giving participants
a chance to take a closer look at the new South Africa, emerging
from the dark era of apartheid but still struggling against
economic disparities and persistent violence. The day before the
parliament officially opened, a bomb in a popular beach town near
Cape Town injured 48 people. It was the 80th pipe bomb in the
last year and perpetuates the mystery of violence since no one
claims credit. A local banker said that, if the violence
continues, "we are in deep trouble" because foreign investments
and tourists will disappear. "Cape Town is the keyhole through
which the outside world views South Africa," he said.

     An opening day rally near the Parliament Buildings in
downtown Cape Town addressed another major issue for Africans--
the pandemic of AIDS. It is the number one killer in sub-Saharan
Africa, killing 10 times more people than war. In 1998 about
200,000 people died in wars, compared with about 2.2 million from
AIDS. It was difficult not to notice the six-story condom on a
downtown office building, urging the practice of safe sex.

     Cleve Jones, founder of the Names Project that put together
the massive AIDS quilt, told the crowd gathered around a display
of panels, "Don't give up. You must believe, in the way you did
during the dark days of apartheid, that one day there will be a
cure or vaccine. You must fight to stay alive until that day," he
said. "We wish to say to President Mbeki that the decision not to
provide treatment to pregnant women with HIV is scientifically
misinformed, economically unsound and morally bankrupt."

     Participants then marched behind a peace flame through the
busy streets, past St. George's Anglican Cathedral, which Desmond
Tutu made a center of the fight against apartheid, to District
Six. It was once a mixed racial community of 60,000 forced by
apartheid legislation in 1966 to move out of the city, leaving
behind two churches standing as lonely sentinels on a deserted
plain. The peace torch was used to light an Olympic-style basin
of flame, kept alive during the meeting.

A time of transformation

     In the opening plenary at Good Hope Centre, crawling with
security, participants were welcomed by Mayor Nomaindia Mfeketo
of Cape Town, in the absence of President Thabo Mbeki. She said
that Cape Town is a very special city with two faces.

     In profound and moving comments that seemed to describe the
climate in much of the world beyond the continent of Africa, she
said, "One is the physically beautiful city we see around us, the
other is a more somber one associated with oppression, imposed
values, cultural domination, slavery, repressive law-making and
the imprisonment for their beliefs of many of our country's
leaders, including Nelson Mandela," she said.

     "One is a place of tree-lined streets, affluent families and
spacious homes. The other is a place where poverty, joblessness,
overcrowding, inadequate housing, ill health, hunger and fear is
a reality. Today we have a city divided against itself Let this
be the beginning of a real and lasting unity, in spite of all we
think divides us. The example of acceptance in diversity, of
sharing life experiences and a common yearning for spiritual
meaning, is something all Capetonians should take to heart."

     The Rev. Dirk Ficca, an American who is executive director
of the Chicago-based Council for the Parliament of the World's
Religions, said that the meeting came at "a time of
transformation for the African continent. We chose South Africa
because of its rich religious diversity and because of the role
religion has played in its life," he said. "The parliament is
about religious harmony--not unity," he added. "Participants come
fully as who they are. We are seeking convergence of purpose, not
consensus. Our religious differences are not a problem to be
solved but one to be celebrated... It is time to bring the voice
of spirituality back to the table."

     Addressing an issue that would haunt attitudes about the
meeting, Ficca said that the planning committee decided not to
decide what is or is not a religion. He then led an exercise to
demonstrate who was present. Very few responded from South
America or even Europe, but there was heavy representation from
North America and South Africa. About 90 countries were
represented. The majority identified themselves as Christians,
with a sprinkling of Buddhists and Hindus and only a few Bahai,
Zoroastrians and Sikhs.

A new interfaith agenda

     The first parliament was held in 1893 in Chicago, in
conjunction with the World's Columbian Exposition, when
interfaith dialogue was a radical idea. But the world has
changed, its religions are no longer isolated from each other, so
a second parliament was convened a century later, also in
Chicago. Planners made it clear at Cape Town that they hope to
convene a parliament every five years or so.

     "For some the lure of the Parliament was the opportunity it
offered to listen and to share, to engage in serious dialogue

with other faiths, other cultures, and other paths," said Jim Kenney,
who helped plan both the 1993 and 1999 meetings. He said
that the Chicago 1993 parliament, despite some sharp
disagreements and heated exchanges, resulted in a "prevailing
spirit of hope and shared commitment. Gradually a broad consensus
emerged that a new international interfaith agenda, which would
draw on the experience and expertise of existing institutions
devoted to interreligious understanding, was an urgent
necessity."

     The last parliament produced a Call, originally drafted by
Roman Catholic theologian Hans Kung, launching a "process of
dissemination, consultation and emendation affirming the
essential principles: No new global order without a new global
ethic; every human being must be treated humanely; commitment to
a culture of non-violence and respect for life, a culture of
tolerance and a life of truthfulness, a culture of equal rights
and partnership between men and women, and a transformation of
consciousness as the priority for the planetary community,"
according to Kenney.

     Representing what he called "a moral convergence," the
global ethic "embodies the implicit promise that the world's
religions can begin to speak with a single voice on issues of
concern to us all and that they can begin to draft a common
language--not a common theology--but a coherent and shareable way
of addressing universal challenge. Religion is not always at its
best but perhaps the parliament represents a new stirring, a new
reality," he said.

Dazzling diversity

     The plenary hall took on a carnival atmosphere with dozens
of booths hawking different religious messages. Earnest young
people passed out invitations to listen to their version of the
truth, conveyed by a dazzling array of teachers, swamis, gurus,
and priests.  Where else could one see a Muslim mullah talking
with a Hindu priest and a black Southern Baptist, joined by a
Tibetan Buddhist nun, with shaved head, who is chattering away on
her cell phone. A coven of witches from Chicago attracted quite a
bit of attention, as did someone who claimed to be the 196th
Pharaoh. Representatives of indigenous religions, especially from
Africa and North America, were highly visible.

     Yet that diversity provoked some controversy. When the
parliament decided to use the broadest definition of religion, it
curbed significant involvement of Roman Catholics, Orthodox and
many mainline denominations. South Africa's Chief Rabbi Cyril
Harris said that the presence of pagans detracted from the real
purpose of the parliament. "Religion should be democratic but the
wider the definition the more one loses depth--the whole thing

becomes an exercise in artificiality," he said. "The fear is that one gets
a bunch of weirdoes using the parliament to get publicity. I would
prefer it to be more mainstream."

     The national chairman of the Council of African Traditional
Religions, Nokuzola Mndende, suggested that the chief rabbi
should learn to be more tolerant, like the Dalai Lama. "If South
Africans are true to their liberation they must learn to be
tolerant." Elder Rowan Fairgrove, a Wiccan, said that neo-
paganism was the fastest growing religion in the world and that
it represented a genuine attempt to return to ancient spiritual
practices, many of them downtrodden by mainstream religions like
Christianity.

     Anglican Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane, however, agreed
with the rabbi. After the parliament he met with the Dalai Lama
and said in a press interview that he was disappointed by the
"unorthodox" religious groups who attended, especially the
witches and neo-pagans. "It should not be open to everybody who
says they are a religion."

Mandela infuses excitement

     The star power of Nelson Mandela, former president of South
Africa, was palpable as he was welcomed to a special plenary.
"This coming together in the southern-most city on the African
continent symbolizes mutual inter-dependence and common
humanity," he told a crowd of over 5,000. He called the
parliament "an affirmation of the nobility of the human spirit.
"He said that the 20th century had seen more than its share of
violence, suffering and pain but he argued against the cynicism
of the age, contending that the parliament itself "counters that
despairing cynicism."

     Accepting two awards for his efforts to fight violence,
Mandela quickly paid tribute to "the ordinary, unsung men and
women who in this century refused to bow to baser instincts of
our nature." They were the ones who "saved our world from even
more genocide," putting an end to tyrants and dictators, but also
helping us finally realize that "poverty is the single most
dangerous threat to society today."

     Echoing a theme that he had used at the 1998 Assembly of the
World Council of Churches in Zimbabwe, Mandela said, "My
generation is the product of religious education," when only the
religious groups would educate blacks. "Without these religious
institutions I would never have been here today." He added, "To
really appreciate religion you had to be in a South African jail
under apartheid, where you could see the cruelty of human beings
to each other in its naked form. Again, religious institutions
and their leaders gave us hope that one day we would return."

     Brushing aside claims that the anti-apartheid movement was
dominated by radical elements, he said, "Religion was one of the
motivating forces of everything we did." And he argued that
"religion will have a crucial role inspiring humanity to meet the
enormous challenges we face."

     He ended by suggesting that the South African experience in
"settling a deep and long-standing conflict" might be an example
for others because it proves that "common ground is greater than
what divides people."

     Many visited  nearby Robben Island to dedicate a peace pole
and look at the small jail cell where Mandela spent most of his
27 years in confinement until his release in 1990.

Assembly produces Call to Guiding Institutions

     While participants waded through a list of over 800
workshops, symposia, seminars, lectures, performances, exhibits
and concerts, an "inner core" group of about 400 church leaders
met in a closed assembly, hammering out a new draft of a
statement that emerged from the 1993 meeting. Their task included
efforts to design ways to impact the eight "guiding institutions"
of society, including: governments; agriculture, labor, industry
and commerce; education; arts and communications media; science
and medicine; intergovernmental institutions; and voluntary
associations. And they designed a list of hundreds of projects,
which they called gifts, that would draw together people of faith
around the world.

     According to the planners, participants in the assembly were
chosen for their spiritual leadership within different religious
traditions. "The key criteria are whether a person is known and
respected in a tradition--and engaged in real work to address
issues," according to Jim Kenney.

     "The assembly has been very problematic because it has been
poorly focused," argued the Rev. Eric Beresford of the Anglican
Church of Canada. He said that the assembly attempted to advance
the work of the Global Ethic that emerged from the 1993
parliament. He thinks that ethic needs more work, and that didn't
happen at the assembly. "Specifically for me, it's the
perspective from which we look at moral issues--the choice to
look from the bottom up rather than the top down." The
perspective is missing from the Call to Guiding Institutions, he
said. "We have done a half-baked job of everything," including
the list of projects or gifts, most of which are not even new.
Too many players are not at the table, which diminishes the
impact of the Call.

     Bishop Alan Chester of England, representing the archbishop

of Canterbury, felt that the best part of the parliament was listening
to one another's stories, with respect but without compromise of
beliefs. He said it was a "tense time" in relations among religions but
held out the hope that it would be possible to take practical steps of
cooperation and to "speak out together on appropriate issues."

     He deplored the absence of Roman Catholics and Orthodox and
questioned the definitions of religion. He said that the
parliament, and the assembly in which he participated, was "a
noble concept, still in its infancy. But if major religions are
to take it seriously, we must ask what is a world religion."

     Bishop William Swing of California, a member of the
assembly, said that it was difficult to read the map of
interfaith dialogue and action "because it hasn't been written
yet and everyone is operating with different definitions." He
said that the parliament is "inventing itself as it goes along
and therefore seems a bit chaotic, with little order and no map."
Yet he is convinced that interfaith cooperation is becoming a
necessity, not a luxury. The spiritual benefit is that it drives
us deeper into our own traditions. While the dialogue is still in
its early stages, he believes, it is being pushed by the
developing reality that we are living closer together. "The
Episcopal Church has a chance to get out in front of this issue,
like it did with the AIDS crisis," he said.

     Ms. Midge Roof, associate director of the ecumenical office,
carries the interfaith dialogue portfolio and attended the
parliament as the church's representative. She agreed with Swing.
"The impetus is coming from the pews, not from the top down. As
we get to know our neighbors better, we are realizing that we are
not strictly a Christian nation any more." The Episcopal Church
is in the early stages of determining where to invest its energy
in interfaith dialogue, she said.

Dalai Lama speaks at closing plenary

     Parliament leaders used the closing plenary for some
assessments. A South African member of the planning committee
called it "a banquet for the soul," while others said that the
confusing program was more of an "indigestible smorgasbord." Amy
Marks, co-chair of the parliament, said that it was "a dream
realized," building what she called "bridges of understanding.
Someone else called it "a magnificent failure."

     Kenney introduced the Dalai Lama, exiled leader of Tibetan
Buddhists, who had endorsed the parliament based on his
conviction that it was "absolutely vital" that religious leaders
meet and talk. At an earlier press conference he was asked about
the apparent "snub" by President Mbeki, who declined to meet

privately with him in apparent deference to pressure from the Chinese.
The Dalai Lama said that it was "understandable" since
governments must act in national interest.

     An editorial in the Cape Argus newspaper strongly criticized
Mbeki for "excuses not to meet one of the strongest symbols of
peace, freedom and spirituality in modern history," at the same
time that the government was providing "sanctuary to one of
Africa's most evil men, former Ethiopian dictator Mengistu Haile
Mariam," who was in South Africa for medical treatment.

     Tibetans are not calling for independence, the Dalai Lama
pointed out. "We have a right to self-determination but we are
not asking for independence, irrespective of the past. We want
the Chinese to give us genuine autonomy. Under the present
situation, Tibetan culture is facing extinction. Some form of
cultural genocide is taking place. If this culture is destroyed,"
he said, "in the future I'm sure there will be many Chinese who
will have immense regret." He recognizes China's need for
stability and unity but said that its government has "overreacted
because deep inside the Chinese leadership is a sense of
insecurity." Yet he is convinced that Tibet will ultimately have
self-rule because "China is in the process of changing and there
is no possibility of turning back."

     In his address to the plenary, he said that change comes
only through action, not meditation or prayer, and he urged
participants to go into areas of conflict and contribute in
solving them. Instead of trying to propagate one's religion, it
was more important to seek the common good. "It is important to
care and to help others, but to seek inner peace and strength so
that one is better equipped to help others," he said. "All human
beings have a responsibility to look after themselves and the
planet." He urged everyone to be open, unbiased and skeptical in
the search for truth.

And now what?

     While participants attempted to sort through their
experience and decide what to tell the folks back home, several
concrete steps might make that easier.

     It was announced that a Millennium World Peace Summit would
bring together a thousand religious leaders at the United Nations
this August, just before the Heads of State Summit. They will be
welcomed by UN General Secretary Kofi Annan. The four-day event,
which will include an open forum and dialogue among the
participants, will be televised.

     The hope is that the religious leaders will "support the
peace process, in concert with the political bodies there,"

according to Bawa Jain, executive coordinator. He said that the
summit is based on the conviction that the "religious and
spiritual communities can play a substantial role in easing
tensions in the world zones of conflict. Ultimately, this first-
ever council of senior religious and spiritual advisors will be
established as a resource to the UN General Secretary," he said.

     Many participants left reinforced and encouraged that a
common vision of a just and peaceful society was emerging. "I
came to realize more and more," said Kung, "that religion is a
political issue--not just an academic affair. It has many
political ramifications. There will be no peace among nations
without peace among the religions and no peace among the
religions without dialogue."

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.