From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church playing a role in rebuilding war-ravaged Liberia

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 24 Jan 2000 11:18:56

For more information contact:
kmccormick@dfms.org

2000-001

Church playing a role in rebuilding war-ravaged Liberia

by James E. Solheim

     (ENS) The only lights burning at night in the streets of
Liberia's capital city of Monrovia belong to the presidential
palace and the headquarters of the national police. The city's
million people, many of them refugees from the countryside who
fled a brutal civil war, huddle around candles on the sidewalks.
A few private generators supply light to homes, many of them
owned by government officials or business leaders.

     "This nation needs healing," Bishop Edward Neufvlle told a
visiting team from the Episcopal Church in the USA. "The country
is at a virtual standstill," he said. Liberia faces the daunting
challenge of making peace with those who have brought the West
African nation to its knees, authors of a senseless violence who
show no signs of regret or repentance, according to the bishop.
He expresses gratitude for the "timely" visit of the Americans as
he lays out plans to show them how the church has suffered with
the rest of the nation and is seeking to rebuild. "You started
this church and we are confident that you will stand beside us as
we usher in a new century."

     An apprehensive calm has settled over much of the nation as
it emerges from a decade of violence that affected nearly all of
its three million citizens. An estimated 150,000 died as armed
factions battled each other for control and terrorized the
population until a fragile truce was shaped in 1997 and refugees
began to return from neighboring countries. "Liberia is a
post-war country, but not a post-conflict country," observed an
international aid worker.

     The ties between Liberia and the United States run deep
since it was founded in 1822 by the American Colonization Society
to create a homeland for freed American slaves.
Americo-Liberians, who modeled their 1847 constitution on the
U.S. system, ran the country until a 1980 coup, setting off
decades of violent struggle.

     The involvement of the Episcopal Church began about the time
the nation was established. The first American missionaries were
sent in 1836 and the first bishop chosen in 1851. "We have a lot
of missionaries buried in Liberia," said the Rev. Ricardo Potter,
associate director of Anglican and Global Relations (AGR) for the

Episcopal Church, a member of the visitation team. He has visited
the country three times in the last two years and is encouraged
by the changes he has seen.

     Potter points to what he called a "change in attitude," a
whiff of hope in the air. "People are no longer waiting for the
government to rescue them. They are finding their own ways of
rebuilding," he said.

     He was part of a meeting of the Joint Covenant Committee
last April, the first meeting of the full committee in Liberia in
nine years and was able to visit the whole diocese. As a result,
the committee concluded that it is time for the Episcopal Church
to help the Liberian church in its efforts to rebuild,
concentrating on reopening the church schools.

A tradition of education

     The Episcopal Church of Liberia has made a major
contribution in the last century in the field of education,
operating a system of elementary and secondary schools, as well
as Cuttington University College, the only private university in
West Africa. While the war damage is heavy, the buildings are
structurally sound and could be easily rescued--with help.

     After visiting a number of the schools, the visitation team
concluded that education is an area where "our involvement could
make an enormous difference--to the church and to the nation,"
said the church's treasurer, Stephen Duggan, a member of the
team. "Look at the impact the church's schools have already had
in the life of this nation. It is important that we assist in
revitalizing the school system."

     Addressing the risks of involvement in a country that is
still politically unstable, Duggan said it represents too
important an opportunity to "demonstrate our faith by stepping
into a situation where we can help people realize their full
humanity. And it is the right thing to do." Duggan is convinced
of the possibility--and the necessity--of offering to help. "Our
church has been there a long time," he emphasized. "It is like
going back to family and discovering that they are in trouble and
need some help."

     Even though the "physical and psychological damage runs
deep," Potter said, "we have the capacity to respond to the needs
of a church that we planted." Liberians are confused and angry
that the Americans are not helping them and Potter also hopes
that the traditionally close ties can be reestablished, both with
the nation and the church.

     A recent survey by the diocese has estimated that it would
need at least $3 million to repair the school buildings.
Cuttington has estimated it needs about $5 million.

Brave and determined people
     Wherever they went, members of the team met people who had
endured and now expressed a determination to put their lives back
together.

     At the end of rough trips into the bush, on roads that can't
be used during the rainy season, they were introduced to teachers
who had gathered hundreds of students in the shells of buildings,
feeding their minds and their bodies under very difficult
conditions. "People have refused to give up--or to give in," said
Margaret Larom, mission interpretation officer for the Episcopal
Church. "We have an inspiring opportunity to make an impact--
again."

     The team got a glimpse of what was possible when they
visited the site of Boys Town, a church facility that is being
rebuilt with help from the American Refugee Committee. It is
attempting to rescue orphans and street teens who have been
traumatized by the war, many of them used as pawns of the
military factions. "These are kids who killed people," said Shaun
Skelton of the ARC. "Their families can't or won't take them in
and they are ostracized by the community." With a radical change
in environment, and some vocational training, he thinks the
future may brighten for them.

     At Bromley Mission, displaced children from the neighborhood
gathered in a chapel at Julia Emery Hall, one of the few spaces
on the campus that is functional. Yet the principal expressed
optimism that it may be possible to open the boarding school next
fall.

     Cuttington University College, forced to close in 1990 when
it had almost 900 students, is slowly coming to life again. A
grant from the Presiding Bishop's Fund for World Relief helped
Cuttington assess its needs after the civil war. "It is more
difficult now, 50 years later, to rebuild because of these
setbacks," President Melvin Mason told his visitors. "But after
seven years of war, we are able to reassess and expand our
programs. And we are able to pay more attention to the needs of
the community." The team visited a small village near the campus
where Cuttington has sponsored empowerment programs for women.

     Mason admits that the obstacles are serious. It won't be
possible to expand enrollments until there is some major
improvement to facilities. Housing for faculty and staff is a
major problem. Although there is no electricity or running water,
a generator given to the school by Liberian President Charles
Taylor provides a few hours of light to parts of the campus each
day. Yet Mason said they are determined to admit another class
next fall while maintaining standards in keeping with other
Anglican colleges and universities.

     With 1,500 acres, Cuttington was almost self-sufficient
before the war, raising chickens and pigs and vegetables. The
United Nations is helping to rebuild the school's capacity to
feed itself And a grant from American Schools and Hospitals
Abroad may make it possible to rebuild the generators by the time
the new class arrives next fall.

     During the war, many of Cuttington's staff remained on
campus to care for 7,000 refugees jammed into dormitory
facilities, writing a proud new chapter in its history.

Ministry in context

     While church officials are proud of their contribution in
the field of education, they caution that it must be seen in a
broader context. "Rebuilding must also include medical clinics so
we can minister to the whole person," stressed Neufville. "While
education is important, it should be seen in the context of the
church's total ministry of outreach," added Gyude Bryant, a
Monrovia businessman who chairs the diocesan board of trustees.
"We don't have the resources to rebuild, to get the clergy back
into the parishes."

     Church leaders expressed deep concern for leaderless
parishes, with no facilities for resident clergy. As a result,
membership in many churches has been cut in half. The situation
may improve as refugees who fled the country begin to return. Yet
unemployment is also a factor. "Nobody is working so it is hard
to rebuild the church," one person said. "We need zinc," added
another, stressing that replacing the roofs of churches and homes
that disappeared during the war would be a sign of hope.

     "The question for us is how do we find a way to mobilize the
resources of our church to strengthen this church," said Duggan.
"It is not an overwhelming task."

     Sandra Swan, executive director of the Presiding Bishop's
Fund for World Relief, shares the excitement of her colleagues on
the team. "And I'm convinced that members of our church will also
share our enthusiasm for the rich possibilities for helping the
church in Liberia rebuild," she said. She reported that the fund
is already looking at ways it can cooperate with other agencies,
church-related and secular, in those efforts.

     "Since the children of Liberia have essentially been without
education for almost 10 years, the situation has a sense of
urgency," she added. "Every day is one more day lost in their
education."

     --James Solheim is director of the church's Office of News
and Information and covered the Liberia visit for ENS.