From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Canadian Stamp to Commemorate Adventist World Synod 2000

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 02 Jan 2000 01:32:35

January 2, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Canadian Postage Stamp to Commemorate Adventist World
Session 2000 in Toronto

Toronto, Canada.        Canada Post announced that its stamp
program for the year 2000 will include a special
commemorative stamp to coincide with the opening of the
Seventh-day Adventist Church's World Session in Toronto on
June 29, 2000.

The December 1999 announcement has been welcomed by
the Adventist Church in Canada and the world headquarters of
the Church located in Maryland, USA.

"What an exciting development," says Gerry Karst, a Canadian
and assistant to the president of the world-wide Adventist
Church. "Hats off to the movers and shakers who
accomplished this.  Adventists in Canada and around the
world will be proud of this public recognition by
the Canadian postal service."

The campaign for an Adventist World Session 2000 stamp
began in 1997 and was spearheaded by Barry Bussey,
secretary of the Adventist Church in the Ontario region. A
long-time stamp collector, Bussey organized a grassroots
letter-writing campaign that targeted every member of
parliament, mayors of major Canadian cities, and other
national leaders.

Other religious and charitable organizations also lent their
support to the effort, often referring to past, positive
involvement with the Adventist Church.  Writing to Canada
Post in support of the stamp issue, the Society for
International Ministries said that it had a good relationship
with the Adventist Church in its development and relief
work in the Sudan and "appreciated their cooperative spirit."

According to Bussey, the project was about more than just
securing a special stamp issue.  "That's just a small cog in a
big wheel," he says. "This is an opportunity to highlight the
Adventist Church, to get involved with the community, to let
Canadian society know we're here. I am so pleased that I
could have a small part in helping Canada know more about
the Adventist Church."

Ivan Grose, Member of Parliament for Oshawa, was one of the
politicians who supported the bid. In a letter to Canada Post,
he noted two Adventist institutions within his district, saying "I
am very familiar with [the Church's] good works, not only
locally, but nationally and internationally as well.  I can think
of no more worthwhile subject for a special commemorative
stamp. I encourage you and your colleagues to look favorably
on this very worthwhile project."

The design of the 46-cent, first-class stamp will not be
disclosed until its release. It is based on material and
information provided to Canada Post by Bussey and his
Canadian team.  Ray Dabrowski, communication director for
the world church who assisted with information and supported
the project, welcomed the successful outcome of the stamp
decision.

"We are all anxious to see the stamp, but, like everyone else,
will wait until the release early next year," said Dabrowski.
An estimated seventeen stamps, commemorating various
aspects of Adventism, have been issued by countries around
the world, from Pitcairn Island to Zimbabwe.  The Canadian
stamp will be the first honoring the Adventist Church that has
been issued in North America.