From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Church President Reacts to Gallup International Survey

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 02 Jan 2000 01:39:21

January 2, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

"Face the Future with Confidence in God":
Adventist Church President Reacts to International Survey

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA.         Almost two-thirds of those
surveyed around the world by top polling organisation "Gallup
International" (London/U.K.)  say that God is "very important
in their personal life."  The recently-released Millennium
Survey was conducted in 60 countries around the world and
"highlights that the idea of God is very important for the
respondent's personal life."

These results are in marked contrast to media perceptions
that religious belief is on the decline world-wide and that
"concerns about faith and religion may be somehow shrugged
off." Eighty-seven percent identified themselves as belonging
to a religion, with only 13 percent saying they belonged to
none.

Ninety-seven percent of respondents in West Africa said that
God was very important to them, followed by Latin America at
88 percent and North America with 82 percent. Europe and
East Asia were at the bottom of the list with 49 percent and
47 percent respectively.

"This survey is important because it reveals that at the eve of
the year 2000 people are still religious beings to whom God
matters," says Dr. Jan Paulsen, president of the 11 million-
member Seventh-day Adventist Church. "This confirms what
we believe: religious faith is just as important today than ever.
We remain committed to sharing our beliefs in the sovereignty
of God, the Bible as His inspired Word, Jesus as Saviour, and
the hope of His soon return. We call on all people of good will
to face the future with confidence in God, knowing that He
holds the future in His compassionate hands."

The Seventh-day Adventist Church continues to be one of the
fastest-growing Christian denominations around the world,
increasing at 9 - 10 % annually. Regions having high numbers
of Adventists include Central and South America, the
Philippines, North America, and Africa.