From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

`Dawn' Bible Studies Conclude with an `Icky Sandwich'

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 04 Jan 2000 20:03:47

4-January-2000
00002

    `Dawn' Bible Studies Conclude with an `Icky Sandwich'

    God uses good and bad to transform creation, Hodges tells youth

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

INDIANAPOLIS-After exploring the lives of Jacob and Mary the mother of
Jesus during the first two morning Bible studies of "Dawn ... an Epiphany,"
the Rev. Houston Hodges turned for his final Bible study on Dec. 31 to the
apostle Peter.

    "If you take these three characters together you have two `ickies' and
one nice," Hodges told his 2,000 young congregants, "kind of an icky
sandwich."

    And the point of all this?  "Each individual has intrinsic worth and
doesn't have to become something else because God is looking for all of it
- the icky and the nice - in order to transform creation."

    Recalling the story from John 21 of Jesus' encounter with his disciples
by the Sea of Tiberius just after his resurrection, Hodges painted a
picture of a disconsolate Peter, still grieving over his three-fold denial
of Jesus at the time of his arrest.

    And Jesus gave Peter another chance, Hodges said.  "Three times over,
as if to wash away that terrible night, Jesus gave Peter the opportunity to
make it right, to reiterate his love for Jesus."

    Even then, the impetuous, impulsive Peter "almost blows it," Hodges
continued.  "Rather than recognizing the irony, Peter got impatient at
having to answer the same question three times over."

    But that's how it is with God, Hodges insisted.  "We look before we
leap like Peter, we get all grabby like Jacob, or like many of the
disciples we simply don't understand.  Do you think this disqualifies us
from being used by God?  Good heavens, no!  Those are all things - the icky
and the good - that God is looking for in us to help transform the world."

    And the "gospel-job" - the instructions given to Peter and the
disciples at this final encounter with Jesus are the same as at the
beginning, Hodges concluded, "Follow me.  Feed my sheep."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org