From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Complete Trust in God Is `Ace in the Hole,' Dawn Participants Told

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 04 Jan 2000 20:05:51

4-January-2000
00001

    Complete Trust in God Is `Ace in the Hole,'
    Dawn Participants Told

    Youth gathering turns its attention to Mary

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

INDIANAPOLIS-"Here am I, the servant of the Lord.  Let it be with me
according to your word."

    These words of Mary the mother of Jesus capture the "hole card" of
Christian faith: complete trust in God "when the incredible is dumped in
your lap," the Rev. Houston Hodges told participants in "The Dawn ... an
Epiphany" Dec. 30.

    After studying Jacob the day before, the more than 2,000 Presbyterian
young people attending the millennium-turning event turned their attention
to Mary.  "The wheel of destiny turned and turned and stopped on the least
likely person in all the world," Hodges said during his morning Bible
study, which was punctuated by an extraordinary interpretive dance by
Noelle Goodman-Morris of the Portola Valley (Calif.) Presbyterian Church
drama troupe, which provided dramatic illustrations of the Bible lessons
throughout "the Dawn."

    Mary's response to the angel's message that she would become the mother
of the Messiah, Hodges said, was a disbelieving "Duh, I'm a virgin."  But
the angel said, "Don't worry, I'll take care of it."  And then, in a
contemporary translation of the famed magnificat, Hodges told his youthful
congregation, Mary responds, "It'll be okay."

    "The same is true here," Hodges continued.  "God has something special
in store for you and no matter how topsy-turvy the world gets and no matter
how angry or confused you feel, no matter how inadequate you consider
yourself, it'll be okay.  The trait that brought Mary through was trust and
that same trait is inside of you - that God can use you for God's purposes
the same way God used Mary's complete trust."

    While Mary's experience was very dramatic, not all encounters with God
are so obvious, said the Rev. Mark Goodman-Morris in his evening homily.
Goodman-Morris, who is pastor of the Portola Valley church and played Jacob
in the previous day's dramatic presentations, said God comes to people in
two ways: "the blinding flash of light and the twinkle of the starlight."

    "The core of our being," Goodman-Morris said, "is the realization that
we are loved by God.  This is the meaning of epiphany - when our longing
for God meets God's longing for us."

    Such starlight epiphanies happen in a variety of ways, Goodman-Morris
continued.  "It can be when a song touches you in just the right way, when
a speaker says just the right word, or when a friend offers you just what
you need at the exact right moment."  He then said he had such a
"God-moment" earlier in the day watching his daughter perform her dance
during the morning Bible study.

    And so it was for Mary, Goodman-Morris said.  "God scooped down and
scooped Mary up."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org