From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bible Stories Come To Life In Humorous Skits

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 04 Jan 2000 20:05:55

4-January-00
00003

    Bible Stories Come To Life In Humorous Skits

    Scripture studies at "Dawn" celebration are punctuated by laughter

    by Evan Silverstein

INDIANAPOLIS - Hey, did you hear the one about Mary attending a Lamaze
aerobic-dance class?

    If not, you probably didn't attend morning Bible studies at the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)'s "The Dawn ... an Epiphany" youth and young
adult celebration here Dec. 28-Jan.1 - and you certainly missed a few good
laughs, as presenters made familiar Bible passages come to life through
funny sketch humor and outlandish costumes.

    The Biblical shtick came from the innovative minds and hearts of the
Revs. Mark and Cheryl Goodman-Morris, pastors at Valley Presbyterian Church
in Portola, Calif., and "Simple Gifts," their drama troupe of eight
performers. The pastoral pair view the arts as a helpful tool in nudging
people of all ages, but especially youngsters, toward a better
understanding of the Bible.

    "They're kind of like `Saturday Night Live' skits in the morning," said
Mark Goodman-Morris, whose church is part of San Francisco Presbytery. "We
will do anything it takes to make the Gospel real to these folks. We'll do
whatever it takes to make the story fresh. Oftentimes, that's humor - and
they'll remember those stories."

    There was Mary as a valley girl - totally. There was Jacob wrestling
the angel with the fanfare of a World Wrestling Federation celebrity. There
were fluffy angels and biblical characters with cowboy hats. The
Goodman-Morrises also led evening worship services, at one point unleashing
a 15-foot Gabriel puppet that required three actors to operate.

    The sessions at the Indianapolis Convention Center were like TV comedy
skits, especially when a pregnant Mary attended a Lamaze aerobic-dance
class where she bumped into cousin Elizabeth. The two exchange greetings,
sounding like two bombastic New Yorkers arguing over a subway seat. The
troupe, outfitted in hilariously inappropriate 1980s-vintage leg-warmers
and beach ball-stuffed leotards, had the crowd roaring with laughter.

    "What we really hope is that people's lives are changed," said Cheryl
Goodman-Morris, "and that they're touched by seeing Mary (and other
characters from the Bible) in a new way."

    Many of the youngsters in the audience said they were affected by the
lessons, and did take away a  better understanding of scripture.

    "It was interesting, and funny," said Yavonne Howe, 12, of Davenport,
Iowa, a member of West Park Presbyterian Church. "For the little kids who
are a little younger than us, it put the Bible in a way they can understand
it."

    Some adults in the audience agreed, acknowledging that the mix of
theatrics and humor was effective in bringing young people to a better
understanding of Bible stories.

    "It was nice to see how it can be brought to modern times, and it's
still educational for the kids," said Rita Schroeder, 32, also a Davenport
resident and West Park Presbyterian member. "They can understand it."

    The odyssey of Biblical parodies started during the Goodman-Morrises'
days as students at the Louisville (Ky.) Presbyterian Theological Seminary
in the 1970s. In an April Fool's Day class they attended together, Mark and
Cheryl were assigned to preach a dual sermon. They acted out the assignment
silently as mime performers, telling without words the story of Jesus'
healing of a deaf and dumb man. That effort was the genesis of their
creative style of "preaching."

    "It was then we knew that there was a tremendous power with symbols,"
said Cheryl. "So that's really been the whole of our ministry, of our
preaching and especially of our drama, ever since. It's to help people see
the scripture in new ways, through ... symbols, and through storytelling."

    The Goodman-Morrises continued exploring the art of mime while serving
as co-associate pastors of various congregations in southern California.
Today, at Valley Presbyterian, which has about 350 members, they often
incorporate creative elements, such as dance, mime or drama.

    "Worship doesn't have to be `by the book,'" said Cheryl, a parish
associate of theater arts at Valley Presbyterian who also operates the
Portola Valley Theater Conservatory. "If you can do it through dance,
through mime, through silence, all those things can be used."

    Mark and Cheryl, who celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary during
"Dawn," took the name "Simple Gifts" from a Quaker hymn of the same name.

    They are no strangers to PC(USA) events. The church has tapped their
talents for three previous Presbyterian Youth Triennium events. One "Dawn"
official said the troupe is exceptional at connecting with younger people.

    "They understand that people learn in different ways, and that the
majority of us learn visually and need to make a connection sight-wise,"
said Gina Yeager, the denomination's associate for youth ministry and
director of worship and production for "The Dawn."

    Kevin Klein, 13, of Omaha, Neb., agreed.

    "I thought it made the worships more fun and more interesting to go
to," said Klein, who attends Benson Presbyterian Church. "It helped me
learn about Jacob and Esau and the angel."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org