From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist President Calls For Emphasis on the Spiritual

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 05 Jan 2000 11:10:37

January 5, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Church President Calls For Renewed Emphasis on
the Spiritual

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA.      "While the consumer society
ends one century and begins a new one with eyes firmly fixed
on production output, the stock markets, low inflation, low
interest rates, low unemployment, etc., we have a lurking
sense within us that something else is required to secure the
future and to sustain hope. Only Jesus Christ and the
spiritual values He offers can fill the voids within us
personally and within our societies. And that is our
primary need," says Dr. Jan Paulsen, president of the
Seventh-day Adventist Church. "At this time when many
people around the world are considering what lies ahead,
we want to focus on the things that really matter and that
ultimately shape our lives."

Speaking during an interview at the Church's World
Headquarters on January 4, Paulsen reflected on the
significance of the 1900's and said that they had been marked
by disturbing trends.

"We have seen a great increase in materialism and secularism,
particularly in the West," he said. "Over the past hundred
years, the consumer society has developed, radical political
ideologies have come to power, with war and violence on an
unprecedented scale. All this coupled with a lessening of faith
has had tragic results. The Lord calls us to spiritual values
which give meaning and purpose to life."

Commenting on the ongoing role of the Church, Paulsen said
it remained committed to its founding beliefs and to
witnessing for the Lord everywhere and anytime.

"We will continue to preach the Biblical message of salvation,
making God's good news relevant to our generation," said
Paulsen. "We take our responsibility both humbly and
seriously and look forward to an exciting future under God's
guidance." The Seventh-day Adventist Church has promoted
Christian beliefs, healthy lifestyles, moral and ethical values,
religious freedom, human rights, humanitarian aid and
community involvement since ist organisation in 1863. It now
numbers in excess of 10 million baptised believers in 207
countries around the world. (12/2000)