From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Update: NCC Genl Secy Comment on INS Decision

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 06 Jan 2000 06:52:25

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
134NCC1/5/2000  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

UPDATE: NCC GENERAL SECRETARY REGARDING INS DECISION TO RETURN ELIAN
GONZALEZ TO HIS FATHER

Cancun, Mexico
January 5, 1999

Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell, former General Secretary of the
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA, representing
the NCC in an effort to reunite Elian Gonzalez with his father in
Cuba.

The decision of the INS to give custody of Elian Gonzalez to his
father is right and just.  This decision is to be affirmed and must
not be tied to protracted legal battles that would delay the boy's
actual, physical return to Cuba.

Our position has been that Elian needs to be with his immediate
family which is a position that the United States holds in relation
to family issues, whether they be domestic or international cases.
We would rarely choose to place a child with an extended family
rather than with the immediate family, particularly when the family
is strong and loving as this one is.

If the boy is returned immediately, Cubans will be grateful and
jubilant.  From what I have read about opinion in the U.S., most
people here believe the boy should be returned to his father and I
think they will see this as a just and proper decision.

The role of the Cuban Council of Churches and the National Council
of Churches was important in getting access to the Cuban family and
helping to tell their story.  We were told that the Cuban family
will request that we bring the boy back.  We do not know what the
response to that request will be, but we remain ready and willing to
do this.

-end-
 -0-