From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Detterick, Kirkpatrick Issue Statement on NCC Funding

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 07 Jan 2000 20:04:44

7-January-2000
00011

    Detterick, Kirkpatrick Issue Statement on NCC Funding

    Council will be asked to approve one-time $400,000 bailout in February

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-Two top officials of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) have
issued a statement supporting the National Council of Churches of Christ in
the U.S.A. (NCC) and announcing their intention to support emergency grants
totaling $500,000 to help erase the ecumenical organization's $4 million
deficit.

    John Detterick, executive director of the General Assembly Council, and
the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, the General Assembly stated clerk, issued the
statement on Jan. 6, saying that they believe the NCC has put its financial
house sufficiently in order to avoid future shortfalls of this magnitude.

    Their statement echoes that of the United Methodist Church, which
recently lifted a suspension of its contributions to the NCC after better
financial controls were put in place. The Methodists have agreed to
contribute nearly $700,000 to the bailout package.

    The complete text of the Detterick/Kirkpatrick statement:

    "The General Assembly Council, at its February (16-19) meeting, will be
asked to approve a special, one-time appropriation of $400,000 to help the
National Council of Churches pay off its current operating deficit. The
Office of the General Assembly has already approved $100,000 for this
purpose. Other denominations that are members of the NCC are expected to
make similar one-time contributions.

    "The National Council of Churches is one of several ecumenical
organizations that over the past 50 years have looked to the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) for leadership and financial support. Our support is
consistent with our church's historic belief that denominations should work
together as separate parts of the body of Christ.

    "Much of the work of the NCC, including Bible translation, Crop Walks,
and humanitarian relief through Church World Service, are well-run
activities which are essential to Presbyterian mission work. Resolving the
NCC's current financial situation is important for our own mission
outreach.

    "The Presbyterian Church and others have demanded that appropriate
steps be taken to ensure that the NCC will not face more financial problems
in the near future. These steps have been taken through a variety of
cost-cutting measures including staff reductions. We expect a new level of
commitment to responsible management by new management.

    "The National Council of Churches has helped to advance the cause of
Jesus Christ for more than half a century. The issue before the General
Assembly Council will be whether or not the remedial actions taken to date
justify support in return for continued facilitation of our vital mission
outreach."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org