From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Freda Gardner Enjoys `Educational Challenge' of Being Moderator

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 07 Jan 2000 20:04:44

7-January-2000
00010

    Freda Gardner Enjoys `Educational Challenge'
    of Being Moderator

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

    She is an unlikely moderator.

    Opinionated but soft-spoken, Freda M. Gardner came out of "retirement"
in June 1999 to stand for moderator of the 211th General Assembly of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), and won a decisive second-ballot victory.

    Gardner, recently retired as professor of Christian education at
Princeton Theological Seminary, was enjoying the luxuries of gardening,
reading, speaking occasionally and being more involved in her congregation,
Nassau Presbyterian Church in Princeton, N.J. Standing as a candidate for
moderator of the General Assembly "never entered my head," she says, "until
a group of friends called, convinced that the Assembly needed more choice
(she ran against three men).

    Gardner's year of service in the denomination's most visible elected
post comes at a time when Presbyterians are deeply divided by a number of
theological and social issues. "There are two realities present in the
Presbyterian Church these days," Gardner says. "The church is enthusiastic
on the one hand, with all kinds of innovative ministry going on; on the
other hand, there is discouragement that we can't settle some of these
issues, like the ordination (of gay and lesbian Presbyterians). I sense
we're in a transition time, and need to work hard together on the
essentials  - education, evangelism, mission."

    She calls her travels around the nation and the world "a wonderful
continuing education challenge," and says, "It's a growing experience to
have to think about answers to all the questions Presbyterians want to ask
of their moderator."

    Gardner, who has been active in the PC(USA) all her life, says she
"thought I knew what this year would be like, but I had no idea how
exhausting a process it would be." The moderator is typically on the road -
speaking, listening and meeting with congregations, synods, presbyteries
and other groups - more than 300 days of the year, and Gardner has set up
an ambitious schedule of international travel as well.

    On the agenda are trips to Central Europe, Eastern Europe, Indonesia
and Korea; and the latter trip is dearest to her heart. "Although the
Korean church has approved the ordination of women, there are 450 awaiting
calls so they can be ordained. I want to support them," she explains.

    She says she can't assess her effectiveness as moderator. "I've been
warmly received everywhere, even by those who wouldn't have voted for me,"
she smiles. "At the least, I've honored the office; at most, Presbyterians
have welcomed me personally for what I stand for."

    Gardner, an outspoken advocate for children and education, for an
increased role for women in the church and for the ordination of gays and
lesbians, smiles and sighs: "You just have to say what you think and
believe and let the chips fall where they may: It's God's church, after
all."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org