From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

STATEMENT BY ROBERT EDGAR, NCC GENL SECY ABOUT ELIAN

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 10 Jan 2000 07:07:09

Title:Statement by Robert Edgar, NCC Genl Secy about Elian
Gonzalez

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

New York, NY
January 8, 2000

A STATEMENT BY ROBERT EDGAR,
GENERAL SECRETARY, NATIONAL COUNCIL OF CHURCHES,
REGARDING ELIAN GONZALEZ

The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
(NCC)  regrets that Rep. Dan Burton of Indiana wants a six
year-old boy to appear before Congress.  Little Elian
Gonzalez deserves to be reunited immediately with his
biological father and closest family members in Cuba.  The
longer this whole process drags on, the more disconnected
this small child becomes from those who have raised him and
who love him.  Using delaying tactics to prevent this child
from going home is unseemly and it isn't fair to use him as
a pawn in a political dispute.

As a former Representative in Congress, I will use the
knowledge gained through 6 terms to discover if a logical
and compassionate solution can be found.  This is a time
when people of good will should focus on the needs of one
little boy rather than on how he can be useful for some
other purpose.

I'm hopeful that this tragic situation can have a positive
effect.  Throughout the generations, children often have
pointed the way to a new way of looking at things.  The
Bible says that "a little child shall lead them."  Elian
Gonzalez could be the catalyst for a changed relationship
between the peoples of Cuba and the U.S.  His safe return
should mark a commitment to finding ways to be more caring
and generous with each other.

The NCC became involved in this concern through an
invitation from the Cuban Council of Churches, with whom we
have had a relationship of trust and understanding for many
decades.  At their request, I sent a mission to Cuba to
determine the worthiness of the father and family to receive
the child.  In that mission was my immediate predecessor as
General Secretary, Rev. Joan Brown Campbell, and Rev. Oscar
Bolioli, head of the NCC Latin America and Caribbean office.

The report of my team was conclusive: Juan Miguel Gonzalez
is a loving and good father and the grandparents and
extended family wish Elian to be returned to them now.  Rev.
Bolioli and Rev. Campbell have told me that this is the just
solution and that the boy should be returned home to his
family who love him.   The team continues to be in touch
with the family on behalf of the NCC and the team will
assist in the return of the boy, as they were requested to
do by the family, should the Immigration and Naturalization
Service decide that the NCC can play a useful role.

Our involvement is in keeping with our long-standing concern
for the children of Cuba who receive humanitarian assistance
from us in the form of medicines, school kits and health
kits.  It also is in accord with our long history of
sponsoring family reunions for Cubans separated over the
years.

I pray that this little boy can become a symbol for
affirming the humanity in each person, wherever they live.
Make no mistake, The National Council of Churches is
unequivocally in favor of reuniting the boy with his father
and closest family members.  This child needs his father and
he needs him now.  He must be taken home.
- end -
 -0-