From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Chinese Expert Calls Christianity an "Important Part of Chinese

From "Beckett, John" <BeckettJ@gc.adventist.org>
Date 12 Jan 2000 13:50:45

Culture"

ANN Bulletin
Adventist News Network
Seventh-day Adventist Church World Headquarters
January 11, 2000
----------------------
Chinese Expert Calls Christianity an "Important Part of Chinese Culture"
Silver Spring, Maryland, USA ... [ANN]

A leading Chinese academic visiting the United States identifies
Christianity as "an important part of Chinese culture" and that "the better
we know Christian culture, the better we know what it means and how it
provides a spiritual resource to stimulate our revival."

Dr. Yang Hui-lin, Director of the Insitute for the Study of Christian
Culture, Renmin University, Beijing, made his comments during a visit to the
Seventh-day Adventist Church World Headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland,
USA.
"The Institute was founded in 1995 as a way of researching what Christianity
is really like," says Yang.  "We want to learn and understand from this
tradition."

After the Cultural Revolution, many young people are now re-evaluating the
background and interpretation of society and ethics, comments Yang, who says
he is not a Christian.  He was cautious in responding to questions regarding
religious freedom and the opportunities for Christian education in China.

"Religious freedom is more complicated than is often realized," says Yang.
"There are many forms of religion, and the meaning of religion is difficult
to explain.  So too with freedom.  In the Chinese context, this is also
complicated and very different to the U.S. situation.  Also, religious
persecution is much more serious in other countries than in China."

Responding for the Adventist Church, Dr. John Graz, director of the Public
Affairs and Religious Liberty department said that the Church was very
interested in the Chinese situation and in Chinese culture.

"While we understand there may be different situations around the world, we
remain committed to the cause of religious and human rights and deplore any
instances where such rights are violated," he said.  "We look forward to
better understanding of the Christian message and trust that this Institute
you represent will provide a clear and objective perspective."  [Jonathan
Gallagher]
Contact Information:
Communications Department
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600

Phone: 301-680-6300
e-mail: info@gc.adventist.org