From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

2002 Olympics to Include Presbyterian Welcome Center

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 14 Jan 2000 20:06:34

14-January-2000
00022

    2002 Olympics to Include Presbyterian Welcome Center

    Facility will offer worship, hospitality,  "respite"

    by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - In February 2002, the eyes of the world will be on the
snow-capped peaks of Utah for the Winter Olympic Games -- and the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) will be there, as host of a Presbyterian
Welcome Center.

    A campaign is under way to raise an estimated $2 million to $7 million
to build the facility, envisioned as a worship, hospitality and information
center for visitors to the Olympics from around the world. Organizers must
have $1.5 million in hand by early March to secure a 2.8-acre tract of land
in Park City, Utah.

    "It's basically offering Presbyterian hospitality to those who would
come to this part of the world for the Olympics," said the Rev.  Marvin L.
Groote, executive presbyter of the Presbytery of Utah, one of three
welcome-center sponsors.

    The center would be about a 30-minute drive from Salt Lake City, where
the 2002 Games will be centered, and would serve during the Olympics as an
educational centerpiece for Christian faith and for the mission of the
PC(USA), according to the other project co-sponsors, the Synod of the Rocky
Mountains and Summit Presbyterian Church, a new-church development that
plans to make the new center its post-Olympics home. Planners also expect
the facility to operate a retreat/conference center for the denomination.

    "We are doing it for two reasons," Groote said. "One, we want to have a
Presbyterian-Reformed presence at the Olympics. The second (reason) is in
order for the fledgling (Summit Presbyterian) congregation to have a place
to worship. If we can put those two together in a way that will make it
work, and can raise the funds, we will probably be three to five years
ahead on our plan for the Park City congregation."

    Officials hope to break ground in Park City, one of several venues for
Olympic events, on June 11, Pentecost Sunday, and to finish construction of
the center during the summer of 2001.

    The welcome center will be a place of "respite," with big-screen
televisions broadcasting the Games, and will also offer Bible lessons,
worship and music, said Robert L. Sheldon, mission development director for
the Synod of the Rocky Mountains.

    Foreign-language assistance and pastoral and crisis counseling also are
to be offered as spiritual support of people traveling far from home.
Multi-media presentations on Presbyterian missions and Internet access also
are part of the plan, as are community programs, classrooms for Christian
education and a 10,000-square-foot sanctuary seating 300 to 350 worshipers.

    "I'm excited about having folks there that know a variety of languages
and who are trained in evangelism and hospitality," Sheldon said. "It's
going to be a cool time."

    A Presbyterian welcome center will be established in time for the
Olympics, "but how elaborate it will be will depend upon the fund-raising
that we do," said the Rev. Richard Wyatt, executive for the Synod of the
Rocky Mountains.

    Meanwhile, the denomination's Worldwide Ministries Division (WMD)
stands ready to assist welcome-center officials with mission interpretation
and to help identify mission personnel qualified to assist with
programming.

    "We're in a responsive role here, and we'll do what we can," said the
Rev. Marian McClure, the WMD director. "This project is an opportunity once
again for us to show hospitality to sisters and brothers from far and
wide."

    Plans for the center came as a blessing to Summit Presbyterian
officials, who for most of the past two years have held services in various
locations near Park City, a ski-resort town where land is expensive. The
congregation has about 100 regular members and hopes to receive its charter
on Pentecost Sunday, when ground is to be broken for the welcome center.

    "Oh gosh, if it wasn't for this new plan, we wouldn't even be thinking
about breaking ground for several years," said the Rev. Alan R. Akana,
organizing pastor of the new church. "This way, we're looking at June of
this year (for breaking ground). So it really picks up the speed. It's been
a real shot in the arm for this congregation."

    Additional information on the welcome center can be found by logging
onto the Synod of the Rocky Mountain World Wide Web site:
<www.synodrockymtns.org>.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org