From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

No Subject Given

From RICH_SCHRAMM.parti@ecunet.org (RICH SCHRAMM)
Date 24 Jan 2000 11:19:03

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

American Baptist Executive Ministers to Retire

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

Four ABC/USA Executive Ministers
To Finish Regional Service in 2000

 Executive ministers in four American Baptist regions
recently have announced their intentions to either retire or
resign in 2000.
 The Rev. Mildred A. Myren, executive minister of
American Baptist Churches of Metro Chicago for the past five
years, will retire March 31.  Myren previously had served as
interim executive, and has been a staff member of ABC of
Metro Chicago since 1978.  In announcing her retirement
Myren noted, "I deeply cherish the experiences that this
position has afforded me.  Most of all I cherish the people
and the churches of this region....  The experiences in the
wider denominational family have...opened doors for
challenging and rewarding opportunities of service."  The
ABC of Metro Chicago, one of 34 regional organizations
within the American Baptist Churches USA, includes
approximately 60 churches and 15,000 resident members.
 The Rev. Dr. Ronald E. Cowles, executive minister of
the American Baptist Churches of the Dakotas since 1991,
will retire July 31.  Prior to his present responsibilities
Cowles served the region as associate executive minister and
as World Mission Support staff.  He also was pastor of First
Baptist Church in Pella, Ia., for 13 years and served four
other pastorates in Kansas and Iowa.  The ABC of the Dakotas
includes approximately 51 churches and  5,200 resident
members.
 The Rev. Dr. Louis A. George, executive minister of
the American Baptist Churches of Vermont and New Hampshire
since 1992, will retire Dec. 31.  George previously was a
staff member of the American Baptist Churches of Maine and
held several pastorates in Maine and Pennsylvania.  In Maine
he also staffed the Institute for Ministry, a state-wide
endeavor for training lay pastors and church leaders
sponsored by the Commission on the Ministry.  In addition he
served in faculty positions at Bangor Theological Seminary,
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and Boston University
School of Theology.   In announcing his retirement George
noted, "Never...could I have ever wished for a more loving,
cooperative people with whom to work than the staff, pastors
and lay people who make up the ABC of Vermont and New
Hampshire family."  The ABC of Vermont and New Hampshire
includes approximately 156 churches and 15,600 resident
members.
 The Rev. Dr. Paul D. Aita, who has served the American
Baptist Churches of the Northwest as executive minister
since 1994, has announced his intention to resign that
position no later than Dec. 31, 2000.  Aita has held pastorates
at First Baptist Church in Billings, Mont.; First Baptist
Church in Danvers, Mass.; and Immanuel Baptist Church
in Tacoma, Wash.  "I took this action with great sadness,
as I have considered it a real honor to have
served...in this capacity," Aita said.  The ABC of the
Northwest, which encompasses the states of Montana,
Washington and Idaho as well as churches in Nevada, Oregon
and Utah, includes approximately 200 churches and 36,000
resident members.
 The abovementioned join two other executives whose
retirements in 2000 previously were announced in the
American Baptist News Service: the Rev. Dr. J. David
Mallgren, executive minister of the American Baptist
Churches of Nebraska, on April 30, and the Rev. Dr. George
E. Daniels, executive minister of the American Baptist
Churches of Wisconsin, on Aug. 31.

1/19/00
WFN119A.TXT

 -0-