From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Fort Wayne Methodists spearhead coalition on crime

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 25 Jan 2000 12:52:08

Jan. 25, 2000 News media contact: Linda Bloom·(212) 870-3803·New York
10-21-31-71B{030}

By United Methodist News Service

When members of a United Methodist congregation in Fort Wayne, Ind., began
talking with local politicians about the city's crime rate and racial
divisions, their concerns were dismissed.

But as the conversations were expanded to include the black churches and
black community, others became convinced that Indiana's second-largest city
had a problem, according to the Rev. Robert Dygert-Gearheart, senior pastor
of First Wayne Street United Methodist Church.

That problem, he said, includes the high crime rate, how crimes are reported
and the fact that "the boundaries between the black and white communities
have become more rigid and fixed, not only in terms of relationships between
people but also economically and socially."

Last September, SEARCH - Seeking Ecumenical Alternatives to Reduce Crime and
Hostility - was created, and more than 60 religious groups have joined the
coalition. On Jan. 19, SEARCH placed full-page ads in the two daily
newspapers, informing the public, the city council and newly elected Mayor
Graham Richard of its willingness to work with city government on reducing
crime and racism.

First Wayne Street -- which built a new downtown church at a time when
congregations all over the country were moving to the suburbs - has long had
a commitment to its neighborhood and the surrounding inner city.

"Right now, the downtown area looks good, but there are a lot of things that
need to be improved," Dygert-Gearheart told United Methodist News Service.
"We think that we are a primary player in that process."

A reactivated church and society committee at the church has helped lead the
congregation in trying to understand its ministry to the downtown area. One
thing was very clear: "Our crime rate is substantially higher than other
comparable cities'," the pastor said.

The statistics can be found at the SEARCH Web site
(www.FightCrimeFortWayne.com), which is maintained by the church and society
committee.

Fort Wayne has a population of 202,904. In 1998, according to FBI
statistics, the city's crime rate was 65 percent higher than the U.S.
average. Compared to other cities with populations of more than 100,000, 68
percent had a lower crime rate than Fort Wayne and 76 percent had a lower
homicide rate. Between 1990 and 1998, 63 percent of the 208 cities compared
had achieved bigger reductions in crime than Fort Wayne.

In its "overview of beliefs," SEARCH recognizes that "a significant
component of crime revolves around issues of racism. We understand that
making lasting major reductions in crime and racism needs an integrated
approach. We believe that the way to make major reductions in the crime rate
is through the development and implementation of policies and practices
without distinctions of race, gender, nationality or creed."

Dygert-Gearheart noted that the weekly black newspaper, Frost Illustrated,
has played a strong role in the coalition. He added that hate crimes in the
area a few months ago have encouraged participation by the Jewish Federation
too. "They became very sensitized to the fact that they needed to be players
in building a safe community," he explained.

With such broad community representation, the political reaction to SEARCH
is now positive.

"The new administration here in town has joined hands with us,"
Dygert-Gearheart said. "We have an open door to the mayor's office. The city
council has become very responsive."

SEARCH believes crime results from a failure of moral responsibility that
starts with the individual and family. Religious, educational and civic
groups must support the individual and family in achieving moral
responsibility, while the government must ensure domestic tranquility when a
crime occurs, according to the coalition.

The first task in Fort Wayne, the coalition said, "is for the various
community elements to arrive at a consensus of what role each element plays
in crime reduction."

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: