From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Scottish Church Leaders Split on Repealing Anti-Gay Law

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 25 Jan 2000 20:03:38

25-January-2000
00032

    Scottish Church Leaders Split on Repealing Anti-Gay Law

    by Religion News Service

WASHINGTON- Church leaders in Scotland are split over the Scottish
Executive's proposal to repeal a law that forbids local authorities from
promoting "the teaching in any maintained (state-supported) school of the
acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship."

    Repeal is vigorously opposed by Roman Catholic Cardinal Thomas Winning,
archbishop of Glasgow, who urged Scotland's "silent majority" to speak out
against it and who reportedly denounced homosexual behavior as a
"perversion," adding: "I will not stand for this type of behavior which is
now being described as wholesome and healthy when it is far from it."

    But the moderator of the General Assembly of the (Presbyterian) Church
of Scotland, the Rev. John Cairns, has backed the Executive's proposal and
said he was "perturbed" there did not seem to be an objective discussion
about what was being proposed.

    "It is very easy to project the extreme view which is not the reality,"
he added. "It does not seem to me that the proposal is in effect promoting
anything other than what would be considered a reasonable and appropriate
education for people in the modern day and age."

    Calling for "a rational discussion," he said, "It ought to be possible
to devise sex education in such a way that, without promoting any kind of
sexual activity, you can talk about what actually happens in the world.
That is what children should be educated to deal with."

    Cairns said he was speaking for himself and not the church because the
denomination has no policy on the matter and policy can only be decided by
the church's General Assembly.

    Other Church of Scotland officials noted there would be many people in
the denomination "deeply dismayed" by Cairns' view.

    "We are inundated with people in the Church of Scotland who are very
dismayed that the church as a whole has not come out against repeal," said
Ann Allen, convenor the denomination's board of social responsibility.

    "We do not discriminate in any way, but we do not condone homosexual
practice, as we do not condone adultery or promiscuity," she added.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org