From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Cambodian Government Honors Church World Service

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 27 Jan 2000 20:05:16

27-January-2000
00038

    Cambodian Government Honors Church World Service

    by Wendy S. McDowell
    National Council of Churches News Office

NEW YORK CITY-Twenty years ago, when Phnom Penh lay in ruins after years of
war and Cambodian people were in the grip of widespread famine,
representatives from several non-governmental agencies flew in to assess
humanitarian needs.

    "There was no electricity and no water, and the relief workers fanned
out in the city then got back on the plane to bring back reports to their
agencies," recalled the Rev. Rodney Page, executive director of Church
World Service (CWS), the relief and development arm of the National Council
of Churches (NCC).  "But one representative stayed behind and lived there
for six months:  Perry Smith of Church World Service and CWS is still
there."

    Church World Service was among 10 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
honored at a ceremony held in The Chaktomuk Hall in Phnom Penh, Cambodia on
Nov.18, during which Cambodian Prime Minister Samdech Hun Sen highlighted
the "close partnership and strong solidarity which exists between the Royal
Government of Cambodia and the NGO community."

    In attendance were representatives from the 10 NGOs, including Page,
Linda Hartke and Howard Jost of Church World Service.  Hartke served as CWS
country director in Cambodia from 1992-1997 and is currently CWS director
of programs and operations.  Jost is the current CWS country director in
Cambodia.

    Prime Minister Hun Sen praised the past and continuing humanitarian
work of the NGOs, employing a Cambodian saying, "a good friend singled out
during hardship."  He noted that not only did the agencies provide direct
service and aid, but served as an alternative conduit for international
diplomacy since for many years the Khmer Rouge occupied the nation's seat
at the United Nations.

    Today, CWS continues to support projects as varied as community
development, animal health and production, and mine clearance and
awareness.  According to Hartke, who visited several projects during her
recent visit, things have definitely improved.

    "I told the Cambodians I visited that I am like the wayward aunt who
has been away for several years and returns to say, `My, how you've
grown,'" Hartke said.  "I find that the standard of living is improving,
with electricity and water improved and access to education continuing to
increase.  There is now glass in windows, which wasn't true for so many
years."

    Perhaps the most remarkable improvement, Hartke noted was in the
security situation.  "We were actually invited to a community meeting that
took place after dark.  That would never have happened in the past."

    At the same time, Hartke said, "The gap between rich and poor is
increasing, with more evidence of extreme wealth and extreme poverty.  It
is remarkable the number of BMWs you now see in Phnom Penh."

    Also, though things have improved economically, there are still
sociopolitical strides that need to be made.  "The root issue now is rule
of law," Hartke said.  "There needs to be a functioning legislature,
executive bodies and an independent judiciary.  We are working with staff
and local partners to encourage this idea of building a democratic
infrastructure along with the physical infrastructure."

    For instance, Church World Service projects include the election of
village development committees.  These bodies follow democratic principles
to decide on the top development priorities of the village.  Self Help
Groups allow technical and organizational skills to be transferred to local
volunteer workers.

    Just as it did when Perry Smith first set foot in Cambodia in 1979, CWS
continues to put "humanitarian spirit above political considerations," as
Prime Minister Hun Sen said of the NGOs in his speech.  To the NGOs, he
said, "You all are both witnesses and participants in the tremendous
efforts displayed by a strong and unexhausted will, to work hand in hand
with the Cambodian people for the rehabilitation and reconstruction of a
country ravaged by wars, genocide, isolation and embargo."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org