From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodists Promote "Souper Bowl" Sunday with New Hymn

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 28 Jan 2000 20:08:15

28-January-2000
00046

    United Methodists Promote "Souper Bowl" Sunday
    with New Hymn by Presbyterian Pastor

    by Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky.-On the eve of the 11th annual "Souper Bowl of Caring" - a
national campaign started by Spring Valley Presbyterian Church in Columbia,
S.C. - the United Methodist Commission on Relief (UMCOR) has a new hymn
posted on its web site to help participating churches.

    The author of the new "Souper Bowl" hymn is the Rev. Carolyn Winfrey
Gillette, co-pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Pitman, NJ.  She has
written 47 hymns since July 1998 when she began writing her first hymn in a
summer seminar at the Synod of the Trinity's synod school.   Her hymns have
been utilized for disaster relief efforts -- "The Storm Came to Honduras"
was used by many churches to highlight Hurricane Mitch relief -- as well as
for the new Presbyterian curriculum and the upcoming Churchwide Gathering
of Presbyterian Women this summer.

    The Rev. Brad Smith, associate pastor of the Spring Valley church and
founder of the "Souper Bowl," said the brand new hymn will be used as a
resource for next year's "Souper Bowl."

    The hymn:

    God, You Give Us Recreation
    (Tune: "There's a Wideness in God's Mercy")

God, you give us recreation, rest and play when work is through,
Game and sport and celebration, times that challenge and renew.
In the days we spend together, in the feasts that we prepare,
In the times of joy and laughter, may we know your loving care.

Yet, O Lord, we see your crying for the ones who know no rest,
For your children, hungry, dying, for the homeless and oppressed.
May we, as your sons and daughters, share with open heart and hand,
Till your justice flows like waters to the poor throughout the land.

Bless, O Christ, our gifts of caring, for we know without a doubt:
Soup and bread are made for sharing, hands are made for reaching out. Even
in our times of playing, may we keep the vision clear:
Keep us serving, loving, praying, welcoming your kingdom here.

   Copyright c 2000 by Carolyn Winfrey Gillette. All rights reserved. Used
by Permission.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org