From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Retired Nebraska pastor wins pension board's Calkins award

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 31 Jan 2000 14:57:03

Jan. 31, 2000       News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville,
Tenn.  10-71BP{039}

NOTE: This report may be used as a sidebar to UMNS story #038. A photograph
is available.

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (UMNS) - The Rev. Howard R. Bailey, a retired clergyman
who had a diverse career as a pastor, campus minister and benefits officer,
is the winner of the Charles L. Calkins Award, presented each year by the
denomination's pension agency.

Bailey, of Lincoln, Neb., accepted the award during a luncheon held in his
honor by the directors of the United Methodist Board of Pension and Health
Benefits. The board met Jan. 27-28 in Scottsdale.

"Howard is not a tall person, but I tell you, Howard has stature" in the
Nebraska Annual Conference, said Bishop Joel Martinez, head of the church's
Nebraska Area. Bailey's stature comes from deeds in Christ, and he is
respected "with high regard and appreciation," the bishop said.

Bailey, upon receiving the award, said he was "humbly grateful and somewhat
overawed."

"I have seen and worked with many changes ... changes that have made our
General Board of Pension and Health Benefits, I think, the best in the
nation," he said. "I don't think there's another program that can come close
to it."

The award is named for one of the board's former general secretaries.
Calkins served the agency from 1938 until 1964, spending the last 12 years
as top staff executive.

Bailey was nominated for the award by Idalene Williams, a board member from
Omaha, Neb., who had worked with him on the conference board of pension.

Under Bailey's guidance as chair of the conference board of pension and
health benefits, Nebraskans were well informed of all pension and benefit
programs, Williams said in her nomination.

Bailey "enthusiastically traveled throughout Nebraska, interpreting the
HealthFlex benefits" program, Williams said. "His love for the denomination
and church is evident when he helps participants understand and appreciate
the General Board policies."

In her remarks, she described Bailey as a "visionary," and noted that he was
instrumental in getting the annual conference to adopt increased benefits
for surviving spouses.

Bailey's career stretched from 1958, when he was ordained a deacon, to 1998,
when he retired. A St. Louis native, he was raised and educated in Arkansas.
He served on the staff or in campus ministry at several colleges, including
United Methodist-related University of Denver, where he was a campus
minister, and Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, S.D., where he was a
campus minister and associate professor of philosophy.

After holding several posts at John J. Pershing College in Beatrice, Neb.,
including that of acting president, he left academia in 1971 and joined the
staff of First United Methodist Church in Omaha as coordinator of
ministries.

He was the director of ministries for the Nebraska Annual Conference from
1979 to 1980, and was executive director from 1980 to 1985. During that
time, he also served in several other jurisdictional and conference-level
roles. After leaving the staff in 1985, he became a nonstaff member of the
conference board of pension from 1986 to 1998, holding posts as secretary
and later chairman. He also was a local church pastor for two congregations.

He is currently serving on the conference board of pension as a
representative of retired clergy.

Bailey reflected on his varied career during an interview. "I've never
lacked for meaningful work," he said. "I feel very strongly about the
strength and possibilities and potential within the United Methodist
Church."

"In all of his work, he gives fully of himself," said his wife, Kay, who was
also recognized at the board luncheon. "His work with the board of pension
has been a very meaningful part of his ministry."

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://www.umc.org/umns