From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AIDS, Economic Problems Pose Challenges to Mission in Thailand

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 31 Jan 2000 20:09:04

31-January-2000
00048

    AIDS, Economic Problems Pose Challenges
    to Mission in Thailand

    A missionary letter from Nancy Curry
    PC(USA) mission volunteer in Thailand

CHIANG MAI, Thailand - I am coming to the end of my two years of volunteer
service here.  I have felt like a welcomed partner to their society as I
taught with the Thai teachers at Suebnathitam and worked with the staff at
McKean Rehabilitation Center.

    At Suebnithitam, the enrollment has increased.  Many of the students
could not attend any school without financial aid.  St. Luke's Presbyterian
Church in Amarillo, Texas, established a scholarship fund for middle school
students who have good citizenship and scholastic ability to allow them to
remain in class.  St. Luke's and University Presbyterian Church in San
Antonio, Texas, helped establish an English room with story books, song
tapes, furniture and teaching aids to improve the skills of all the
students.  As contact with the global community expands, the students will
increasingly need English to enter the work force of Chiang Mai.

    There have been many parental deaths due to AIDS in my two years here.
These students no longer have financial or emotional support.  Their care
falls on elderly grandparents or relatives with families of their own.  The
economic situation forces the older students to drop out of school if there
is no scholarship assistance.

    Currently the main classroom building is receiving a much-needed
renovation with funds from the Church of Christ in Thailand [the PC(USA)
partner church in the country].  Some of the older students are helping in
this.  Most of our rice and vegetable crops have done well.  We had two new
calves.  There are always chickens and eggs.  The students enjoy "hands on"
projects.

    McKean Rehabilitation Center celebrated its 90th anniversary in 1998.
Ground was broken for a new outpatient clinic conveniently located on the
main road.  This clinic, along with a pharmacy, was opened in December.  A
Thai physician and a full-time Thai chaplain were added to the staff last
May.  My English conversation class was opened to all staff.  Being in a
world-renowned leprosy research center, English skills are a major need of
the administrative staff and department supervisors.

    As I leave my assignment, I request your continued prayer for the
students and teachers at Suebnathitam and for the staff and patients of
McKean.  Foremost, continue to pray for our persecuted brothers and sisters
in Burma, Laos, Malaysia and Indonesia.  The violence against the church
seldom reaches the Western press.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org