From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Church Executive Council sifts through concerns

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 01 Feb 2000 08:48:20

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-018

Executive Council sifts through variety of concerns, votes
against using Denver hotel

by James Solheim

     (ENS) The Episcopal Church's Executive Council met in New
Orleans January 17-20, sifting through a variety of concerns over
this summer's General Convention, deciding not to use a Denver
hotel that is part of a chain accused of a broad pattern of
racial discrimination.

     The issue of whether or not to use the Adam's Mark Hotel in
Denver as the headquarters for the July 4-14 General Convention
was on the agenda of the planning and arrangements committee,
meeting in New Orleans before Executive Council. After what was
described by the Rev. Barnum McCarty of Florida, chair of the
committee, as an "in-depth discussion" of the issue, the
committee recommended to the presiding officers that the church
not use the hotel.

     In an ironic twist, the council's unanimous vote came on the
day much of the country was celebrating the birthday of slain
civil rights leader, Martin Luther King Jr. A January 17,
statement by Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold and Pamela P.
Chinnis, president of the House of Deputies, said that the
allegations in the Justice Department suit, coupled with "other
reports from local leaders citing similar problems with the Adams
Mark in Denver," led to the decision. The statement (text in News
Features) said that the action was "the most appropriate
response," especially in light of the church's "profound
commitment to eradicating racism in our church and society."

     Bishop Frank Turner of Pennsylvania said that the process of
reaching a decision was better than the one used to decide to go
to Phoenix in 1991, even though Arizona did not celebrate King's
birthday. "We feel good about the process," he said. "It was a
tough decision but the right one." Griswold commended the council
for the "graciousness" of the discussion, adding that it
represented a "wonderful quality of care and thoughtfulness."

Griswold reports on encounters

     In his opening remarks to the council, Griswold described
his travels and encounters since the last meeting. He said that
he was "extremely sad" with the isolation the Diocese in Colombia
is suffering because decades of civil war has meant that it has
not had a companion relationship with another diocese for over 20
years. His plans to visit a housing project where the Presiding
Bishop's Fund for World Relief is helping to rebuild houses after
an earthquake had to be cancelled because it was in a rebel-held
zone.

     Griswold said that a meeting called by the archbishop of
Canterbury in response to a 1998 Lambeth Conference resolution
urging dialogue on the divisive issue of homosexuality was "an
extremely rich and positive exchange." Participants at the
retreat center in New York  were able to lay out the different
points of view and then identify gray areas, helping them to
explore subtleties, according to Griswold. After engaging in
conversation beyond their stated positions, participants
unanimously agreed that the dialogue should continue.

     The presiding bishop also met with the pope at the Vatican
to discuss the future of the official international dialogue
between Roman Catholics and Anglicans, a commission which
Griswold co-chairs. And he participated in the dedication of the
new Anglican Centre in Rome.

     He participated in a retreat with a small group of
denominational church leaders at the College of Preachers in
Washington where there was considerable conversation about the
future of the National Council of Churches (NCC). "In one sense
the NCC has died and there needs to be a resurrection," he said,
adding that there can't be a resurrection until people "recognize
that there has been a death."

The task of reconciliation

     In her comments to the council, Pamela Chinnis, president of
the House of Deputies, reflected on reconciliation. For example,
her Council of Advice and the presiding bishop's council met "to
consider issues most likely to be contentious when we get to
Denver this summer, and identify approaches for encouraging
respectful dialogue and creating connections between those
holding conflicting positions seeking reconciliation within our
own church body."

     At a meeting of the U.S. churches that are members of the
World Council of Churches (WCC) in Atlanta, "the whole theme was
reconciliation," including a sermon by Archbishop Desmond Tutu at
Ebenezer Baptist Church from the pulpit of Martin Luther King,
Jr. She also reported on the warning by Prof. Miraslov Volf of
Yale Divinity School against "cheap reconciliation," false ways
of seeking to resolve the tensions between justice and peace.

     Chinnis also held out the possibility that "through the
miracle of modern telecommunication the majority of deputies and
bishops can participate in conversation, exchange of information,
testing ideas, sharing views, debating positions through e-mail"
months before General Convention. Only 19 percent of deputies at
the last convention used the potential but that has quadrupled to
over 72 percent now. "The 2000 Convention will be the first to
benefit from the kind of preparation afforded by this non-
geographic conversation," she said.

     While telecommunication "can be an instrument of unity and
reconciliation," it also has the potential to "heighten our
tendency toward division," she observed. "It's not a level
playing field yet and may never be."

Budget process refined

     Treasurer Steve Duggan took council members through the
budget that will be presented at this summer's General
Convention, pointing out "how the numbers have changed and how
that represents a change in emphasis" in the church's mission. In
showing the income in the last triennium, he said that, when the
figures are adjusted for inflation, "we are about nine million
behind where we should be." The proposed budget for the triennium
totals $139,385,000.

     "We are still far short of what we need to accomplish the
mission we're called to do," he added. "We are back from the
disastrous place of five or six years ago--but we shouldn't be
complacent." While the income from investments has compensated
for a decrease in diocesan contributions, he said, "We are in a
good place to go forward in the new triennium" because the trends
are "very positive."

     Duggan said that the $250 million net worth of the church
"has been rising dramatically" because of investments. "We are
still a wealthy church, especially when compared with the rest of
the world," he added.

     The Rev. Jim Boyle described the recent court decision
holding a diocese of the Anglican Church of Canada liable for
sexual abuse in residential schools it operated for indigenous
children, in cooperation with the government. He said that the
church is facing 300 similar lawsuits involving hundreds of
millions of dollars. "Our first goal is healing and
reconciliation for those who have been damaged" and with Canadian
First Nation people. "Many aboriginal members of our church are
torn," he said. The second goal is survival of the church, even
though that might mean a dramatic change in its present
institutional form.

     The council passed a resolution expressing its solidarity
with the Canadians "as it seeks healing and reconciliation with
aboriginal peoples who have been damaged through their
residential schools experience and as it deals with the human and
financial pain resulting from recent litigation."

In other action, the council voted to:

     *endorse the decision by the Immigration and Naturalization
Service to order Elian Gonzalez returned to Cuba and his natural
father;

          *adopt a mission statement, "The Episcopal Church in
Service to Refugees and Immigrants";

          *approve a one-time grant of $300,000 to help the
National Council of Churches in its "financial recovery and
renewal";

          *express to the government of Israel its opposition to
the building of a mosque next to the Church of the Annunciation
in Nazareth;

          *monitor the progress toward implementation of the
canon opening the ordination process for women in all dioceses;

          *support a network of diocesan administrators by
providing a line item in the church's budget.

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.