From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Two priests consecrated in Singapore

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 01 Feb 2000 08:50:24

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-027

Two consecrated in Singapore to minister to "divided"
American church

by Kathryn McCormick

     (ENS) Two Anglican primates and four other bishops
consecrated a pair of American priests as bishops in Singapore
on January 29 to help "reestablish the unity that has been
violated by the unrebuked ridicule and denial of basic Christian
teaching" in the Episcopal Church.

     The two new bishops, Charles H. Murphy III, currently head
of First Promise and rector of All Saints Episcopal Church  in
Pawley's Island, South Carolina, and the Very Rev. Dr. John H.
Rodgers, Jr., dean emeritus of Trinity Episcopal School  for
Ministry in Ambridge, Pennsylvania, will also "actively seek to plant
Anglican missions in areas where there are receptive communities,"
according to a press release issued after the consecration in St.
Andrew's Cathedral. The release pointed to declining membership
of the church in recent years, calling the decline "a crisis of the
Christian Faith that has left the Episcopal Church divided."

     "I am appalled by this irregular action and even more so by
 the purported 'crisis' that has been largely fomented by  them
and others, and which bears very little resemblance to the church
we actually know, which is alive and well and faithful, as the
Zacchaeus report so clearly indicates," said Presiding Bishop
Frank T. Griswold in a letter sent January 31 to all the bishops
in the Episcopal Church.

     He also sent copies of the letter to the 37 other primates of the
Anglican Communion, who have long been scheduled to meet in
Lisbon, Portugal, in March.

     One of those primates, Harry Goodhew, conservative archbishop
of Sydney, had already said, "While I appreciate the concern and
frustration that has prompted this action, I wish to express my profound
disappointment that these consecrations have taken  place at this time
and in this manner." Goodhew heads one of the largest dioceses in the
Anglican Communion and was a member of a group of church leaders
invited to visit the U.S. last year. He wrote the group's report that was
largely critical of the Episcopal Church in which the acceptance of
homosexuality and the ordination of women have received support.

     Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey, who is currently on a visit
to the Province of Southern Africa, also expressed regret at the action in
a statement released by his office. "It has come as a grave disappointment
to the archbishop," the statement read, "as it is his view that such consecrations
are irresponsible and irregular and only harm the unity of the communion."

     The consecrators included Emmanual Kolini, archbishop of the Province
of Rwanda, and Moses Tay, archbishop of  the Province of South East
Asia, as well as John Ruchyahana, bishop of Shyira in Rwanda; Fitzsimmons
Allison, former bishop of South Carol ina; Alex Dickson, former bishop of
West Tennessee, and David Pytches, former bishop of Chile, Bolivia and Peru.

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of the Office of News
and Information of the Episcopal Church