From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mother Nature Penalizes Souper Bowl

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 01 Feb 2000 20:05:58

1-February-2000
00052

    Mother Nature Penalizes Souper Bowl

    Despite ice, snow and chill,
    fund-raiser for hungry is on record pace

    by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - While the St. Louis Rams were turning back the Tennessee
Titans' last-minute comeback bid, Mother Nature was putting the blitz on
the annual Souper Bowl of Caring.

    Many congregations around the country that usually collect money for
the anti-hunger campaign after Super Bowl Sunday worship services had to
close their doors because of inclement weather.

    The organizers of the Souper Bowl, which originated in a Presbyterian
Church in 1990, are urging congregations forced to cancel Jan. 30 services
to make the Souper Bowl collections this Sunday, Feb. 6. In the Souper Bowl
program, young people collect canned goods and ask parishioners to drop one
dollar or more apiece into large soup cauldrons as they leave worship on
the morning of Super Bowl Sunday.

    "So many of our churches weren't open yesterday, or not for both
services," said Pat Alexander, a Souper Bowl volunteer and member of Spring
Valley Presbyterian Church in Columbia, S.C., where the fund-raiser began.
"We are encouraging people to bring their donations next week."

    Participating churches phone in their collection totals to Souper Bowl
officials and send the money directly to the charities of their choice.
Organizers ask for a phone report so that the national total can be
determined.

    By Super Bowl evening, contributions for the 11th annual drive totaled
about $2.2 million. That's well below the $3.5 million goal, though a head
of last year's totals at this time.

    "We're actually real pleased with the way things are going," said the
Rev. Brad Smith, who founded the event at Spring Valley Presbyterian.
"Despite the inclement weather across the deep south, where we have strong
participation, we're ahead of last year's pace. Our hope is that people who
didn't have services, or had just a few people in worship, will do it again
next week and call in their totals."

    Alexander said Souper Bowl officials will continue taking totals from a
telephone bank provided by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Carolina.
The final figures for year 2000 are not expected for several weeks.

    Last year, worshipers in all 50 states gave more than $2.5 million. A
total of 2,314 Presbyterian churches - nearly one-fourth of all PC(USA)
congregations - took part, contributing $529,183.

    Churches can report their totals by calling 1-800-358-SOUP(7687). For
additional information, visit the fund-raiser's World Wide Web site:
www.souperbowl.org.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org