From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Statement on Consecration of Anglican Bishops in Singapore

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 08 Feb 2000 14:21:10

ACNS 2021 · 8 February 2000 · ACNS

STATEMENT ON THE CONSECRATION OF BISHOPS CHARLES MURPHY AND JOHN RODGERS IN
SINGAPORE ON JANUARY 29

Canon James Rosenthal
  - Director of Communications for the Anglican Communion
Anglican Communion Office
Partnership House
157 Waterloo Road
London SE1 8UT
Tel: [44] (0)207 620-1110
Fax: [44] (0)207 620-1070
aco@anglicancommunion.org
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/

Archbishop Goodhew, Archbishop Mtetemela and Presiding Bishop Sinclair
Respond

As those who share in a deep concern for Anglican orthodoxy and where it is
being eroded [and who] are actively committed to practical steps towards its
restoration, we wish to comment upon the recent consecrations in Singapore
of two bishops for ministry in the United States.

We regret that pressures upon traditionalists within the Episcopal Church in
the U.S. should have accumulated to the point at which two primates, whom we
hold in esteem, felt compelled to take this present action on their own
initiative and contrary to what was agreed in a meeting in which they shared
in Kampala. We are disappointed that our friends acted against our clear
advice and we cannot approve such a step as they have taken at this time. We
continue to emphasise the vital importance of reaffirming orthodox teaching
and safeguarding our historic disciplines through our Anglican instruments
of unity and our respective provincial authorities. Our prayer is that the
Primates in the March meeting in Portugal may be able to deal wisely and
effectively with the underlying causes of this current disorder.

Richard Harry Goodhew, Archbishop of Sydney
Donald Leo Mtetemela, Archbishop of Tanzania
Maurice W. Sinclair, Presiding Bishop of the Southern Cone