From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

South African Anglican priest apologises for appearing in advert

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 09 Feb 2000 11:42:48

Cape Town - After a stern rebuke from Archbishop Njongonkule Ndungane, the
Dean of Cape Town's St George's Cathedral has apologised for appearing in a
public service advertisement for the Gay and Lesbian Film Festival.
In a still photograph taken from the video shoot and published in the
Sunday Times Metro edition, the Very Rev Rowan Smith was seen in the
cathedral, fully robed in his vestments, but with a devil's tail protruding
from behind his robes.

Smith, who has in the past been open about his sexual preferences, admitted
that he had made "a serious error of judgement" by appearing in the
advertisement, and apologised to "all those who have felt hurt and offended
by my appearing in vestments and displaying a devil's tail. The impression
given, without explanation, was misleading as to its purpose...I ask your
forgiveness".

The Archbishop, meanwhile, has re-affirmed his church's support for gay and
lesbian people: "The harshness and hostility to homosexual people (gay and
lesbian) still expressed by many people within our church, as well as other
people, is neither acceptable nor in accord with our Lord's love for all
people".

The Cape Times reports that Dean Rowan Smith is currently on a visit to
Seattle.

Rev Dave Wanless - Coordinator: Ecumenical News network southern Africa
Tel & Fax: +27 (21) 683-9665
Cell: 082 958-6482
E-mail: davecong@mweb.co.za
Website: www.uccsa.co.za