From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Foundation Discusses New Covenant Mutual Funds at MRTI Meeting

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 09 Feb 2000 20:09:20

9-February-2000
00062

    Foundation Discusses New Covenant Mutual Funds
    at MRTI Meeting

    Funds Represent the Latest Investment Vehicle

    by Evan Silverstein

DECATUR, Ga. -  A family of mutual funds recently started by the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Foundation, which pools investors'  money to
buy large volumes of stocks and bonds, was explained during the winter
meeting of the Committee on Mission Responsibility Through Investment
(MRTI) of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

    Dennis J. Murphy, the Foundation's senior vice president/chief
financial officer, described  the family of mutual funds during the Feb. 4
gathering on the campus of Columbia Theological Seminary here.

    "New Covenant Funds have been organized with participation from the
Foundation to facilitate responsible financial management of the endowment
and investment assets of the PC(USA)," Murphy said.

    The Foundation's taxable subsidiary, New Covenant Trust Co., has been
named to be the funds' investment advisor.

    The mutual funds program, regulated by the Securities and Exchange
Commission, and the National Association of Security Dealers, allows
Presbyterians and related-institutions to purchase a larger and more
diverse portfolio of stocks or bonds by pooling their money with that of
other investors.

    The funds make sense for the investors, Murphy noted, because it's a
good way for a congregation and their investment responsibilities to buy a
wide-range of stocks. By increasing
diversification, investors decrease the risk associated with traditional
investments, he said.

    The Foundation had previously offered such investments through its
Investment Management Service (IMS), but the new funds allow clients to
make deposits and withdrawals daily, in contrast to a monthly timetable
required under trust laws governing the Foundation's previous IMS program.

    While individuals may participate, the funds are aimed at attracting
Presbyterian seminaries and colleges, local congregations, synods,
presbyteries, and retirement homes. Mutual funds have existed since the
1920s, but their popularity and growth over the past 10-15 years have
exploded. Today, mutual funds are a top investment vehicle for many
institutional clients as well as for both young and seasoned investors.

    Eight outside stock and bond firms hired by the Foundation monitor
day-to-day investments and make trading decisions under the strategic
supervision of the New Covenant Trust Co.

    New Covenant Trust operates under the same regulatory scrutiny of the
U.S.  Comptroller of the Currency as trust departments of other big
institutions and pays taxes on profits to the I.R.S. It also allows the
Foundation to maintain the same investment philosophy and approach while
upgrading its delivery system.

    "The reason we're creating the corporate entities is because the
not-for-profit areas of the country (such as the church) now are a major
portion of the economy and are coming under more and more scrutiny from
regulators," Murphy said.

    Since 1799, the Foundation has served the Presbyterian Church and its
mission through the cultivation and management of gifts given from the
accumulated resources of individuals and the endowments of churches,
governing bodies and church-related institutions. It manages assets
exceeding $1.8 billion held primarily for local congregations.  Earnings on
endowments invested by the Foundation support 40 percent of the mission
work undertaken by the church's national office - everything from setting
up soup kitchens and paying seminary scholarships to sending missionaries
overseas.

    Murphy said the mutual fund's large size and resultant efficiency,
combined with experienced management, not only provides investors with
expert stock and bond selection, but low costs, and convenience by
providing quality account administration.

    "The church deserves the highest level of service and  availability of
information," Murphy said. "New Covenant Funds were created to enhance the
service level to our clients. Our mutual funds provide 24-hour a day,
seven-day-a-week availability of account information over the phone.
Purchase, redemption and exchanges can be made on any business day and
statements are timely and have been simplified. Net asset values are posted
daily on the funds' Internet Web site: www.newcovenantfunds.com.

    Another appeal of mutual funds is that smaller investors receive the
expertise and purchasing power as the large institutions. Investors who buy
funds need only be concerned with the quality and long-term performance of
the fund. They do not need to worry about each individual stock or bond
purchase the fund makes. Foundation officials say the trust company's
management of these funds fall in line with the General Assembly's vision
of stewardship and social responsibility.

    "We will provide the same level of cooperation and coordination with
the General Assembly and its socially responsible investment guidelines as
we have always have," Murphy said.

    The funds are not insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.
(FDIC), carry no bank guarantee and may lose value.

    The mutual funds and trust company join a third taxable venture being
developed by the Foundation -  an insurance subsidiary that issues
charitable gift annuities in states that restrict their sales to licensed
insurers, thereby allowing the Foundation to seek such gifts from people in
all states.

    The ventures are part of a response by the Foundation, Murphy said, to
ensure a viable future of serving the church as federal laws and
regulations become more stringent for church-related philanthropies. This
has prodded the Foundation over the last two years to move the bulk of its
financial-services operations out of the non-profit arena and reorganize
them under the same laws that regulate commercial businesses.

    Changes were also made to deal with a sweeping movement that is seeing
churchgoers shift loyalties - and donations - to ecumenical and
non-denominational groups or to secular charities.

    "Through our leadership we pursued a course several years ago that we
cannot afford for the legislators to stop the work of the Foundation,"
Murphy said, "because we believe the work of the Foundation is critical ...
for the funding of the mission for the Presbyterian Church and we want to
be in front of this."

    For more information about the New Covenant Funds, call 1-800-858-6127.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org