From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

FAQ on NCCCUSA and Elian Gonzalez Case

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 10 Feb 2000 09:31:26

National Council of The Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

Contact: NCC Media Relations, 212-870-2227

11NCC2/10/2000

Some Frequently Asked Questions About
The National Council of Churches and the Elian Gonzalez Case

Note to Reporters and Editors: The NCC prepared this Q&A
primarily for its own constituencies, then saw its value for
our media contacts, too.  We hope you'll keep it in your
"Elian file."  It is meant simply to summarize the facts of
our involvement to date in efforts to ease Elian's return
home, NOT to hint that something new is in the works!  The
NCC remains ready to help further if needed, but for the
moment we are on "standby status" with nothing new to
report.

How did the NCC become involved in the Elian Gonzalez case?

In early December 1999, the NCC received an urgent request
from our Christian partner in Cuba, the Cuban Council of
Churches, to work with them to obtain the release and return
of Elian to his father, grandmothers and extended family in
Cuba.  We agreed that Elian belongs with his father, Juan
Miguel Gonzalez, given that he is a fit parent.

Alarmed that the United States was not returning the boy
quickly and automatically to his father and that a
fundamentally humanitarian concern was becoming increasingly
politicized, the two Councils proposed that they serve as
intermediaries in the physical return of Elian to his
father.  The Cuban government agreed to the plan and U.S.
officials quietly expressed interest.

This kind of partner relationship with the Cuban Council of
Churches is characteristic of our work with ecumenical
councils and other church bodies in more than 80 countries
around the world.  As people who share a common faith that
crosses national boundaries, we and our partners strive to
be accountable to each other.  That means that the NCC does
not make unilateral decisions that affect our partners in
another country. On the contrary, we consult with our
partners on issues they face and ask how they would like us
to be involved.  Our partners are on the ground; they know
their own churches and their own country.  They also have to
live with the consequences of what the NCC does in the name
of the churches. Therefore, we take their counsel seriously
before acting or speaking on issues that have an impact on
them.

How have you worked with the Cuban Council of Churches in
the past?

The NCC has a long relationship with the Cuban Council that
predates the revolution in Cuba.  We have worked to maintain
contacts with Christians there through difficult days and
through many changes as the relationship between church and
state evolves in Cuba.  We rejoiced with our Cuban partners
when Christmas was openly observed in Cuba in 1997.  We
celebrated with them when, in June 1999, the Cuban Council
and its member Protestant churches were able to hold a
month-long national evangelical festival that was open to
the public.  And we have supported the Cuban Council with
humanitarian aid when in recent years churches in Cuba were
granted a new role in health care, elder care and other
social services.

When NCC delegations have visited Cuba to see these
projects, they have been dismayed by the suffering of the
Cuban people that is a result of a four-decade-long embargo
against Cuba.  The embargo is even harsher than sanctions
currently placed on Libya or Iraq.  Our response has been
three-fold.  We have pressed for a normalization of U.S.-
Cuba relations that would ease human need in Cuba and that
would allow for the reunification of Cuban families.  We
have sent humanitarian aid shipments to Cuba since 1992,
meeting stringent U.S. licensing requirements to send 305
tons of food, medicine, medical equipment, school supplies
and other desperately needed goods.  And we have prayed with
and for the people of Cuba.  We hope that our efforts will
hasten the day when no Cuban child and no Cuban family faces
the horror that Elian Gonzalez experienced on his dangerous
journey from Cuba to the U.S.

What activities did you carry out in your role as an
intermediary in Elian's case?

The Cuban Council of Churches asked the NCC to visit Elian's
father and extended family in Cardenas, Cuba.  In response,
a three-member NCC team made such a visit January 2-5.  The
NCC's new general secretary, the Rev. Dr. Robert W. Edgar,
who had taken office one day before the trip, requested that
his immediate predecessor, the Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell,
lead the NCC team to Cuba on his behalf.

Members of the team visited with Elian's father,
grandmothers, great grandmother and other members of his
extended family.  Over the course of three days, they spent
eight hours with the family in settings that included Juan
Miguel's home, where Elian stayed; Elian's school, and a
local ecumenical center.  Dr. Campbell shared her
impressions with both U.S. and Cuban government officials
and with the public, characterizing the family as "loving
and caring."

As the NCC team returned to the United States, the INS
announced its ruling that Elian should be returned to his
father in Cuba by January 14.  But further delays prompted
the two councils to support a visit of Elian's grandmothers,
Raquel Rodriguez and Mariela Quintana, to the United States.
(Because of the father's concern for his own physical safety
and his fear of legal entanglement, the grandmothers-who
were among Elian's primary caregivers-offered to come on
the family's behalf.)

While the grandmothers were disappointed in their hope to
take Elian home with them, they did accomplish other goals
of their Jan. 20-30 mission.  They  pressed their case with
Attorney General Janet Reno and INS Commissioner Doris
Meissner in a Jan. 22 meeting in Washington, D.C.  They
spoke about their love for Elian to Democratic and
Republican congressional representatives and to the American
public.  And-after days of negotiations involving the INS
and Elian's Miami relatives-they saw their grandson in the
Miami home of Sr. Jeanne O'Laughlin, president of Barry
University, who had pledged to provide a neutral place for a
supervised visit.

The Council provided pastoral presence and support for the
grandmothers throughout their visit and the Council
continues to be on call in efforts to return Elian to his
father.

What is your response to Sister Jeanne's public statements,
following the brief reunion of the grandmothers and Elian,
in which she took the side of the Miami relatives who wish
to keep Elian in the U.S.?

We were deeply disappointed that Sister Jeanne abandoned the
role to which she had been called and to which she agreed-
that of providing a neutral meeting place for Elian and his
grandmothers.  The meeting place itself proved to be far
from neutral.  In the final hour before the long-awaited
visit, the grandmothers were advised that a group with a
strong anti-Castro position had moved into the house right
next to Sister Jeanne's and could survey her house from a
balcony.  The grandmothers had to delay their visit until
the group was removed.  Even as they approached Sister
Jeanne's home by car, they passed through streets filled
with demonstrators shouting, "He will never go back!"

Following the visit, Sister Jeanne made public statements
backing the Miami relatives in their fight to keep Elian in
the U.S.  We believe those statements were inappropriate for
someone who had taken on the role of neutral mediator.  We
also point out that her statements were based on very
limited contact with these two courageous grandmothers.  The
grandmothers were graciously received in her home, but
Sister Jean was shuttling between the groups of relatives
and was busy with multiple responsibilities related to the
visit.  While Sister Jeanne makes much of witnessing one of
Elian's Miami cousins acting in a motherly way, we contend
that such a relationship cannot begin to compare with the
bond between parent and child.  Elian can best begin to
grieve his great losses and to heal with the loving support
of the family he has known from birth.

What have you said about the move among some in Congress to
confer U.S. citizenship on Elian, with the aim of removing
him from INS jurisdiction?

The NCC shares the grandmothers' anguish and concern about
legislative efforts in Congress that serve to further delay
Elian's return to his father.  Elian's paternal grandmother,
Mariela Quintana, on January 21, said, "Nobody outside has
the right to make him (Elian) an American citizen. He was
born in Cuba, lives in Cuba, he's a Cuban. No one, even
Congress or the President, can change his status."

The NCC's work to facilitate the reunification of Elian
Gonzalez with his father and grandparents in Cuba has
received much publicity.  How is the Council assisting other
families who wish to be reunified?

The Council, its member communions and their congregations
help to resettle thousands of uprooted people in U.S.
communities every year.  For example, in 1999, we assisted
more than 6,700 newcomers representing more than 30
nationalities.  In general, about 80 percent of these cases
are ones in which families are reunified.  We are concerned
for all families everywhere who are separated by conflicts
between governments and we work for their reunification in
many ways.

In recent years, our U.S. resettlement caseload has included
approximately 2,000 Cubans annually.  We are authorized to
assist those Cubans who come to us through the U.S.
Department of State Resettlement Program or the Department
of Justice Cuban/Haitian Program.  Decisions about who will
be accepted for resettlement in the United States are made
by the U.S. government, not by the NCC.  Decisions about who
will receive exit permits from Cuba are made by the Cuban
government, not the NCC. Working within legitimate U.S.
government programs, the Council makes great efforts to
assist Cuban refugees and has done so for decades.  No doubt
there are people in the Cuban American community who oppose
our stand on the Elian Gonzalez case who were themselves
assisted by the Council.

While we must abide by the decisions of government in our
resettlement work, we are advocates for a more humane U.S.
immigration policy.  As a U.S-based organization, we
participate in legislative discussions and public forums to
carry the message of welcome and refugee protection to
Congress and others.

Some have cited the human rights record of the Cuban
government as a reason to keep Elian in the U.S.  How do you
respond to that?

The NCC would never work to repatriate a child who would
face persecution on his or her return.  In fact as part of
our work for refugees that is described above, we work on a
daily basis to protect asylum seekers who arrive in the
U.S., including those from Cuba.  We provide legal
assistance and other help to persons who have fled their
homelands because they have been persecuted or have grounds
to fear persecution.  In the Gonzalez case, it is clear that
Elian will not face persecution if he is returned to Cuba.

In addition to helping asylum seekers, how do you approach
human rights issues?

The National Council of Churches actively promotes the
United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights and,
in its role as a faith-based NGO, it is committed to working
for the human rights of all persons.  When asked to act on a
particular case of human rights violations, the Council
takes the course that it believes will be most effective.
In some cases, this means a public resolution from our
highest policy making body.  Over the years, the NCC's
General Assembly and its predecessor bodies have adopted
over 130 resolutions denouncing human rights violations in
many countries.  Generally, these resolutions include a
provision that urges the U.S. government to take action as
well.  In other cases, a low-profile effort can be more
productive.  The NCC has worked behind the scenes in
countless situations to press the case of prisoners of
conscience, of groups whose religious freedoms have been
infringed and others whose human rights have been violated.
Because of the sensitive nature of this work, many NCC
successes in redressing human rights violations must go
unreported.

Do you often play a role in international custody cases?

No, this is a rare case, in which we received a special
request from a partner ecumenical council.

While our focus is on what is best for Elian, we also
recognize that his case may have an impact on other
international custody disputes and we are concerned about
that.  If Elian is kept in the United States despite the
fact that he has a loving father in Cuba, there will be
implications for the many parents in the U.S. whose children
have been abducted by a non-custodial parent to another
country.  In such cases, the U.S. State Department can
request that children be returned to the place "where they
habitually reside," based on provisions of the Hague
Convention on the Civil Aspects of  International Child
Abduction.  The U.S. and many other countries have signed
this convention.  But if the United States sets a poor
example by flouting the convention in the case of Elian
Gonzalez, it may be much harder for parents in the United
States to get their children back.

While we are not in a position to assist families that are
embroiled in custody disputes, there are specialized
agencies to which we can refer them.  We pray for all
families and all children who are caught in these struggles.

How was the grandmothers' trip paid for?

All but one flight (including domestic and international
flights) was paid for by private donations.  The Jan. 22
round trip flight (New York-Washington-New York) was paid
for by the NCC at a cost comparable to commercial air
tickets ($3,100 for seven passengers).  The grandmothers
stayed in a private residence in New York City, as did the
Rev. Oden Marichal, president of the Cuban Council of
Churches, who accompanied them.  The Cuban Interests Section
took on responsibility for the grandmothers' schedule
beginning with their return on January 26 from Miami to
Washington, D.C., and paid for their travel-related expenses
other than air fare for that portion of the trip.

-end-
 -0-