From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA 2000 Yearbook 4 of 4

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 14 Feb 2000 11:47:58

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

Direct Questions/Interview Requests to: NCC News, 212-870-
2227
Direct Review Copy Requests to: Abingdon Press, 615-749-6290

12NCC2/14/2000
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

"RELIGIOUS PLURALISM: AMERICA IN THE YEAR 2000"
Theme Article, Year 2000 Yearbook of American and Canadian
Churches

 February 14, 2000, NEW YORK CITY - What better way to
introduce readers to America's growing religious pluralism
than through a series of "snapshots?"  That essentially is
what Dr. Diana L. Eck offers in the theme article for the
Year 2000 Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches -- a
book brimming with resources for both research on and
engagement with a diversity of faith communities.

 Dr. Eck is Professor of Comparative Religion and Indian
Studies at Harvard University.  In "Religious Pluralism:
America in the Year 2000," she illustrates the richness and
complexity of an American phenomenon that is welcomed by
some, feared or resisted by others.  Among her "snapshots,"
each inviting fuller exploration:

  Already home to Native American traditional
spiritualities, America's religious diversity increased
through the inherent diversity of Protestant churches
established in the colonies and with the 19th and 20th
century immigration of Roman Catholics, Jews and persons
who practiced Chinese religion, Islam and Sikhism.  "It
was not, however, until America's immigration policy
changed in 1965 that significant communities of Muslims,
Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains settled in the United
States," reports Dr. Eck.
  "Pluralism is not just difference but engagement with our
differences," Dr. Eck notes.  New Muslim mosques and
community centers; Hindu, Jain and Zoroastrian temples,
and Buddhist monasteries are taking their place alongside
Christian churches and Jewish synagogues.  Is this
phenomenon of architectural interest only, or are their
members encountering each other in meaningful ways?
  "Religious traditions are irreducible, and they tend to
resist syncretistic amalgamation," Dr. Eck points out.
And different faith traditions, and traditions within
traditions, hold very different views of interreligious
dialogue.  So how can we engage our differences but keep
our respective identities?  How can we foster dialogue
aimed not at achieving agreement but rather relationship,
based on real give and take?
  For many Americans, religious pluralism is threatening.
The shadow of vandalism and violence perpetuated against
religious groups, particularly minority or ethnic
communities, falls across Hindu temples, Sikh gurdwaras,
mosques, synagogues and minority Christian churches
alike.  Our common life as communities is menaced by many
forms of belligerence and discrimination, negative
stereotypes, benign ignorance and willful
misrepresentation.
  "There are also many other controversies that engage our
new religious differences across complex issues," Dr. Eck
continues.  "Can a turbaned Sikh work on a hard-hat job
or wear his turban in the U.S. Army?  Can a Sikh high
school student carry the symbolic dagger of Sikh
religious initiation to school?  Will the Whirlpool
Corporation in Nashville find a way for Muslim employees
to meet their obligation for prayer?..Zoning boards,
school boards, city and state judicial bodies have become
the sites of interreligious encounter as new questions
like these are posed."
  Public awareness, community life and public policy are
just beginning to catch up with the changes in our
demography.  For example, the Governor of the State of
Kansas, in 1997, issued his first official proclamation
on the Muslim observance of Ramadan.  In it he called on
Kansas citizens to recognize "the dedication and service
of Muslims as an important part of the fabric of
religious pluralism which enriches us all."  President
Clinton, in 1998, issued similar greetings on an
important Sikh observance.  Increasingly, public figures
and heroes including astronauts, business leaders,
scientists, engineers are identified as Buddhist, Muslim,
Sikh, Jain, Hindu, Zoroastrian ..

 Prepared by the National Council of Churches and
published by Abingdon Press, Nashville, Tenn., the 408-page
Yearbook is chock full of useful and fascinating facts,
figures, maps, graphics and detailed listings related to
American religious life, invaluable for church leaders,
journalists, scholars, seminary and public libraries and
others engaged in research or ministry.

The Year 2000 Yearbook of American and Canadian
Churches may be ordered by e-mail (yearbook@ncccusa.org);
phone (888-870-3325); fax (212-870-2817); or mail (Yearbook
Orders, National Council of Churches, Room 880, 475
Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10115).  Cost is $40 including
shipping.

-end-
 -0-