From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ministry is 'first line of defense' for refugees

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 16 Feb 2000 14:19:07

Feb. 16, 2000        News media contact: Tim Tanton·(615)742-5470·Nashville,
Tenn.     10-32-71B{073}

NOTE: For related coverage, see UMNS stories #074 and 075.

By Michael Wacht*

MIAMI (UMNS) -- When Refugee Sunday was established in the Florida Annual
Conference in the 1960s, ministry to refugees was "romantic," according to
the Rev. Brice Harris, pastor of First United Methodist Church in Pompano
Beach.

"We were helping Cubans and fighting communism," said Harris, chairman of
the conference's Refugee Ministry Task Force. "It was all very romantic."

Today, he said, the romance has worn off as the number of refugees has
grown. The Florida Conference annually touches the lives of about 4,100
refugees who have fled from Cuba, Haiti, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and
Indonesia.

"We're the first line of defense," Harris said. "We meet the needs of people
who come here with nothing on their backs. For more than two decades, we've
helped thousands to become settled in the United States at a time when no
other resources were available to them."

The needs include necessities such as health and school kits, food, and
furniture, according to Judith Pierre Okerson, a member of Grace Haitian
United Methodist Church in Miami and a supervisor with Church World Service.
Refugees also need help find housing and employment.

Many refugees need to be oriented to their new life in a new country,
according to Harris. "We try to acclimate parents into American culture.
What is considered child abuse here is just discipline in another culture."

Funding for the ministry comes from an annual Refugee Sunday offering and
the United Methodist Committee on Relief's (UMCOR) Global Refugee Response
Advance #982540-1. Florida Conference churches gave $1,500 last year, while
UMCOR put $35,000 toward the ministry, Harris said.

About 12 Florida United Methodist churches, mainly in the Broward County and
Miami areas, have helped settle 1,400 refugee families in the past year,
according to Okerson. Other groups, including United Methodist Women, lend
support by donating health and school kits.

# # #

*Wacht is the assistant editor of the Florida Annual Conference's edition of
the United Methodist Review. This story first appeared in that publication.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://www.umc.org/umns