From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Dramatic Church Growth Continues in Mexico

From "Beckett, John" <BeckettJ@gc.adventist.org>
Date 17 Feb 2000 13:58:16

ANN Bulletin
Adventist News Network
Seventh-day Adventist Church World Headquarters
February 15, 2000
----------------------
Dramatic Church Growth Continues in Mexico

Veracruz, Mexico ... [ANN] The dramatic growth of the Seventh-day Adventist
Church in Mexico continued with baptismal celebrations in Veracruz State on
February 12-13.

"More than 4,000 chose to be baptized and join the Adventist Church," says
Pastor Jan Paulsen, president of the Adventist World Church.  "We celebrate
with the 500,000-strong membership of the Church in Mexico and continue to
be amazed at what God is doing in this wonderful country."

The largest baptism was held in Catemaco on February 13, with more than
20,000 traveling to attend the celebrations at the lakeside site.

In his address to the participants, Paulsen pointed to the importance of
personal commitment.

"If you hope to have a future beyond this life, this is only by accepting
Jesus Christ. Jesus is now the Lord of your life. We are people 'on The
Way,' as the early Christians were called. We are on a journey and we have
only one destination: the new earth. Today you are beginning that journey.
Never give up. I know how difficult it can be, but do not allow yourself to
be distracted on the journey. Christ has made it possible for each of us to
become winners. Today your future begins-a future that will never end.
Eternity is God's gift to you today."

Under the title "Desde los umbrales del siglo... hasta las puertas del
reino," ("from the thresholds of this century . . . to the doors of the
kingdom"), the celebration was directed by Pastor David Javier Perez, leader
of the Adventist Church in southern Mexico, and Pastor Reynold Zebadua
Perez, leader for the Church in southern Veracruz.

"We are delighted to once again be celebrating the growth of the Church
under the direction of God," says David Perez. "Over the past weeks we have
been privileged to have a number of such events, of which this is the
highlight. Through the work of the members and the pastors, many are
discovering the Adventist message for themselves." [Jonathan Gallagher]
Contact Information:
Communications Department
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600

Phone: 301-680-6300
e-mail: info@gc.adventist.org