From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Theologians explore the images and concepts of "God at 2000"

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 18 Feb 2000 12:09:17

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-048

Theologians explore the images and concepts of "God at 2000"

by Kathryn McCormick

     (ENS) Dazzling advances in science in recent years and the
growing diversity of faiths living side by side are and  will be
two of the chief influences on how people see God, according to
the all-star line-up of theologians who gathered February 11 and
12 in Corvallis, Oregon, to reflect on "God at 2000."

     Karen Armstrong, Marcus Borg, Joan Chittister, Diana Eck,
Lawrence Kushner, Seyyed Hossein Nasr and Desmond Tutu,
representing the worlds of Islam, Judaism and Christianity,
talked about how they see the sacred as the world enters a new
millennium.

     The gathering, Trinity Institute's 31st national conference,
not only packed a large auditorium on the campus of Oregon State
University, it was beamed to nearly 300 downlink sites across the
country and broadcast on the Internet for viewing in the U.S. and
around the world. The conference was cosponsored by the
Chautauqua Institution.

     Borg, professor of religion and culture at Oregon State, and
the person who assembled the group of lecturers, began the two-
day presentation by declaring, "How we see God mattersnot
because God wants us to get it right. It matters because how we
see God matters to us.

     "Our ideas about God--our concepts, images and stories--can
make God seem real or unreal, remote or near; and they shape our
sense of the character of God and of what taking God seriously is
about."

Need to see God again

     Explaining that he had charged each of the speakers to share
what they had learned about God or the sacred, Borg said, "I am
convinced that an older and very common Christian way of seeing
God has become problematic for millions of people in our time."
The church in North America, he added, needs to "see God again."

     As a young Lutheran, Borg said, he thought he had a clear
idea of God, revealed in the Bible and in the creeds. God was
"out there," a person-like being always watching to see how we
measured up to his requirements. This God can intervene in
earthly matters, but often--sometimes puzzlingly--chooses not to
intervene.

     Now, after a journey through atheism to membership in the
Episcopal Church, Borg said he has come to understand that God,
ultimately, is ineffable, a mystery; that God is known in all the
enduring religious traditions of the world; that God is
transcendant, in us and around us; and that God loves everyone,
is compassionate, and is passionate about social justice.

     "The Christian life is not about believing, not about
requirements," he said. "But about a relationship with the one in
whom we live and move and have our being, with the God who is
right here as well as more than right here, with the one who is
known by many names."

     In another talk, Joan Chittister, a Benedictine nun, echoed
some of the same themes.

     "God is not the God I thought I knew in 1950," she declared.
Growing up as a Roman Catholic, she said, "I have feared the God
of judgment and been judgmental of others. I have used God to get
me through life--called the 'intolerable' God's will and expected
God to be the crutch that would make the unbearable bearable--
and, as a result, failed to take steps to change life either for
myself or others when injustice masked itself as God's will and
oppression as God's judgment.

     "I have, in other words, allowed God to be mediated to me
through images of God foreign to the very idea of God."

God the puppeteer

     She talked about God as puppeteer, as potentate, as
persecutor, and as "the mighty male to whom obedience,
subservience and deference were the only proper response and in
whose being women were apparent only for their absence."

     "I learned as life went by," she said, "that the God I make
will be the God I seek, the spiritual life I live, the quality of
my own heart.I have seen God grow, or maybe I have seen me grow
and couldn't tell the difference." She said she has abandoned
"God the cloud-sitter who keeps count of our childish
stumblings."

     The God she knows now, she said, is a God of light and of
mercy, "as close to me as the minute I'm in." The knowledge of
that has led to other spiritual revelations.

     "Science was a great spiritual teacher for me," Chittister
said, noting the breakthrough research that has revealed much
about the world and of space during the last 50 years. "God was
the God of the universe whose creating life lives in us and in
the stars."

     The globalism evident over the past 20 years introduced a
cognitive dissonance--"were all these others--over four-fifths of
the world--really godless? Sprung from the Catholic ghetto,
however good that may have been in my spiritual formation, I
found God at work everywhere."

     And then there was ecofeminism, the growing awareness that
both a male-centered and even a human-centered world is an
insufficient, even warped, explanation of life if God is the
fullness of being and no single being is the fullness of God.
"God is not maleness magnified. God is life without end. All
life. In everything. In everyone."

Close to other faiths

     The idea of globalization is a sobering contrast with the
current fracturing of the human community, observed Diana Eck,
professor of comparative religion and Indian studies at Harvard
University and director of The Pluralism Project, which is
studying religious pluralism in America.

     Finding ourselves in close proximity to people of other
faiths, she said, means Christians must think about the answers
to two questions: How do we think about God in a world where
people of other faiths speak of God in very different ways? How
does a growing dialogue with people of other faiths affect our
faith?

     A lifelong Methodist, Eck described some of her impressions
from many journeys to India, where the practice of many faiths
very different from her own served to expand her own ideas about
God. In the United States, an overwhelmingly Christian nation,
many neighborhoods--urban, suburban and rural--are seeing
influxes now of persons of other faiths. Eck encouraged her
audience to meet their new neighbors.

     Describing her own encounters with other faiths across the
country, she said every service she had attended had opened her
to revelations about her own faith and to new admiration for the
faithfulness of others.

     "Our task and joy," she said, "is to re-imagine God in light
of what God has been doing in communities of other faiths," not
easy when "we share a common world but not a common language of
faith." We need to catch up with the dynamism of the current age,
she added. "We can't be global with ideas that are essentially
provincial."

     Christians in this country will have to widen their
understanding and pay attention to others so that we might learn,
she said.

Surrendered to God

     Seyyed Hossein Nasr, professor of Islamic studies at George
Washington University, said an intimacy with a divine presence
had been created in him at a very early age.

     "Speaking from my own humble struggling," he said, he came
to see how surrender to God--"so difficult, so sweet"--could lead
him to share in both God's freedom and necessity. The word
Muslim, he noted, means "to have surrendered to God."

     A man whose early academic training focused on science, Nasr
said knowledge seems always to mean bifurcation, "but with God
there is no separation between the knower and the known."

     He called for a return to "the science of God.In the West,
we have reduced metaphysics to philosophy. There is no good term
for the science of Godthe science of the real."

     The idea that God is one, he said, is a way of integrating
ourselves and of understanding the interrelationship of all
things. This concept moves across many faiths.

     This interrelationship is especially important to humans
watching others commit an environmental massacre--the use of
nature as a commodity--at the end of the 20th century, he said.
"The only reason we can cut trees in Oregon is because for
100,000 years the Indians didn't cut them."

     He warned against "imprisoning God in time."

     "Anything that's not historical is not real to us," he said.
"We take our own time too seriously" because we have lost our
vision of God's transcendance. "Spiritual growth is to gradually
realize that all things come from God, then return to God. All
things are manifestations of this reality."

The greatest web site

     Lawrence Kushner, a rabbi who is currently a visiting
lecturer at Hebrew Union College, confessed that when he was
asked to participate in "God at 2000," he thought he had been
invited to an email address or a new web site. And what a web
site that would be--the server to end all servers, instantaneous
connections with everyone and everything, all operating at
incredible speed.

     The Internet, in fact, with its global reach, is simply a
modern expression of the kind of connection described in
kabbalistic myths, he said.

     Meaning, he declared, is a matter of connections. "If
something is connected to absolutely nothing--symbolically,
linguistically, physically, psychologically--it is literally
meaning-less. And, if something is connected to everyone and
everything, it would be supremely meaning-full. I suppose it
would be God."

     What if there were a virtual reality computer game
programmed to approximate real life? The rules for the game would
be furnished by religious traditions, he said, and there would be
only five rules:

     *You cannot decide when to begin playing--someone else (not
your parents) determines that;

          *You cannot decide when your game ends, either (the
good news is that "dying does not mean you lose. It's what you do
before you die that determines whether or not you win when you
die);

          *Each player is issued apparently random, undeserved
gifts and handicaps throughout the progress of the game ("The
question is not whether you deserve the hand you were dealt, but
how you choose to play it");

          *Points are awarded whenever you can discern the
presence of the Creator, and then act so as to help others see
it, too.

          *Everything is connected to everything else (Pay
attention: the realization is often momentary, but unmistakable).

Cosmic big brother

     Karen Armstrong, a former Roman Catholic nun who left her
order after seven years, explained, "I looked at God in a
rationalistic way, but it was hard to love somebody who remained
so distant, who seemed a sort of cosmic big brother."

     Upon leaving the convent, she said, she had lived in a state
of what she could describe only as grief, coupled with a complete
lack of knowledge about how to live outside the convent. "I felt
defeated, failed, and tired," she said, declaring that even now
she does not pray.

     Eventually she found herself working in television, doing
religious shows and looking at other faiths.

     "Other faiths brought me back to my own faith," she said, to
the point where she can now describe herself as "a freelance
monotheist."

     She has learned some interesting things. "Religion is
natural to human beings. We are creatures who seek ecstasy, and
we seek it everywhere.And we are creatures who fall easily into
despair and who can easily lose faith.We need devices that
remind us of significance in life."

     Humans are looking for the sacred dimension, which is
ineffable, must be cultivated by opening ourselves to other ways
of seeing and thinking, and must be found by learning to get
beyond self-consciousness, she said. One way she found to do that
was to immerse herself in theology, she added.

     Despite their differences, all faiths emphasize compassion,
a respect for the sacredness of other people, she said.
"Compassion is the test of your theology, your religious
experience.By pouring out love on the 'other' one can get
intimations of holiness."

Alive and kicking

     In the closing talk, Archbishop Desmond Tutu joyously
affirmed that at the beginning of the year 2000, "God is very
well, alive and kicking." But, he added, what kind of God?

     As he was growing up, he said, he saw God as a deity who
needed to be impressed, so that he would react to the success, or
achievements. "So we worked ourselves into a frazzle, seeking to
make ourselves acceptable, lovable, etc." God was "a kind of
spoilsport on the lookout to catch me out doing something wrong.

     "When I did find out this central truth about God (or did it
find me?); it has grasped me and possessed me so that all my
sermons and addresses are really about this one necessary
fact.God loves me. Full stop."

     Describing how God chose a "rabble of slaves" to be God's
chosen people, he said, "We should have been alerted that God's
love bubbles over, that God was there from the beginning.

     "When we were engaged in the struggle against apartheid and
often it seemed an unequal struggle, as the powers of  darkness
appeared to carry all before them, it was exhilarating to
remember that ours was a biased God, biased in favor of the weak,
the oppressed, and the downtrodden, who had chosen to side with a
bunch of slaves against the mighty Pharoah."

     Tutu, who headed South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation
Commission before he retired as archbishop of Cape Town, added,
"We puny, sinful and frail ones are God's viceroys, God's stand-
ins, those who are God-carriers, sanctuaries of the most holy
blessed and glorious trinity. That is why, to treat one such as
if they were less than this, is not just wrong, not just immoral,
and frequently not just painful for the victim, it is veritably
blasphemous, for it is like spitting in the face of God."

     He recalled that, as he listened to the gruesome testimony
during the commission hearings, "we were frequently  bowled over
to find in those who had untold suffering inflicted on them
unnecessarily and who by rights should have been consumed by
bitterness and anger and a lust for revenge instead showing forth
remarkable magnanimity and a willingness to forgive. We were
aware then of being in the presence of something holy."

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of the Office of News
and Information of the Episcopal Church.