From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal leaders in Vermont divided over issue of gay marriages

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 18 Feb 2000 12:10:12

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-035

Church leaders in Vermont divided over issue of gay marriages

by James Solheim

     (ENS) The prospect that Vermont will approve same-sex
marriage is exposing a deep rift among the state's religious
leaders.

     In testimony before the House Judiciary Committee, Roman
Catholic Bishop Kenneth Angell said, "Today in Vermont the
sacredness of marriage and the family as ordered by God is in
jeopardy, and those who honor that sanctity are called to defend
it with courage and conviction." Episcopal Bishop Mary Adelia
McLeod countered by arguing in favor of gay unions. "Such action
will serve to strengthen [the state's] social fabric and is not a
threat to traditional marriage," she said.

     The committee has shown some reluctance to deal with the
implicit moral issues in the debate, provoked by the Vermont
Supreme Court's ruling that found that the exclusion of gay and
lesbian couples from the rights and benefits of marriage is
unconstitutional. The court told the legislature that it could
provide those benefits either by modifying the statutes on
marriage or through a domestic partnership provision.

     Angell said that he was praying for the lawmakers, pointing
out that there was no way that the Roman Catholic Church could
accept marriage between couples of the same sex or a domestic
partnership system. His viewpoint was supported by other
religious leaders. The Rev. Craig Bensen of the Burlington Area
Evangelical Association, for example, denounced homosexuals and
suggested that a 12-step program like the one used in Alcoholics
Anonymous might cure them.

     But Rabbi Michael Cohen of Manchester told lawmakers that
they had an opportunity to seize history and advance the cause of
civil rights, that they could make a difference in the lives of
lesbians and gay men who endure hostility. "You have an
opportunity to change that social climate, to do something
great," he said.

     United Methodist Bishop Susan Morrison and Rabbi Joshua
Chasan and 14 other colleagues joined McLeod in endorsing gay
marriage. "I live a traditional Jewish life and I know in my
heart of hearts that homosexuality is as righteous as
heterosexuality," Chasan said. "I'd be an utter fraud, especially
after the Supreme Court decision, if I didn't make plain my view
that to deny the right of marriage to homosexuals is a sin."

Time for emancipation

     In a separate statement signed by 95 clergy from Vermont,
the religious leaders said that they "believe that marriage can
only be strengthened by extending our understanding of marriage
to include the faithful committed relationships of same-gender
couples We believe that human beings are called to live in right
relationship with each other and with God. Therefore legalizing
marriage for same-gender couples will build community, support
the well-being of children and families, and promote the common
good."

     McLeod also sent an article, "Let the church be the first to
issue an Emancipation Proclamation," to every church in the
diocese, instructing them to read it during a Sunday worship
service. In it she reminded the diocese that she believes that
"homosexual persons choosing to live together in a life-long
union are not committing a sin." In the diversity of God's
creation, "God's great gift of love and expressing that love
cannot and should not be denied for those among us who happen to
be homosexual."

     Using the Emancipation Proclamation, which granted slaves
the right to marry, as an analogy, McLeod said, "It is time for
Christians to issue our Emancipation Proclamation for our
homosexual brothers and sisters."

--James Solheim is director of News and Information for the
Episcopal Church.