From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Finding power in the church's environmental mission

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 18 Feb 2000 12:11:12

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-044

Finding power in the church's environmental mission

by Pat McCaughan

     The Rev. Sally Bingham is on a mission to convert Episcopal
churches to green. She hopes to inspire congregations in the
Diocese of Los Angeles, for example, to commit to the diocesan
year-long focus of "Stewardship for all Creation...for the Next
Century" by signing up to purchase Green Power, or energy from
renewable sources.

     Her message, though, is being carried to the whole church,
and there are promising signs that the church is eagerly
responding.

     Purchasing and using clean energy is a faith issue, said
Bingham, who is the environmental minister at Grace Cathedral in
San Francisco. She and Steve MacAusland, a layperson from Boston,
are co-founders of Episcopal Power and Light, an initiative for
the national church to respond to global climate change.

     Bingham can already point to impressive converts. The church
and the public utilities in Denver, Colorado, are very near an
agreement under which the city's convention center will be