From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Church Commission on Liturgy and Music

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 18 Feb 2000 12:11:15

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-032

Commission on Liturgy and Music says sexuality decisions belong
on diocesan level

by James Solheim

     (ENS) Those who were expecting the Commission on Liturgy and
Music to drop a bombshell on the highly controversial issue of
ordinations of homosexuals and blessing of same-sex relationships
are going to be disappointed. The commission's report for July's
General Convention urges more dialogue and, until there is some
consensus, leaving the dioceses to handle the issue.

     The report, now in the mail to bishops and deputies, asks
the General Convention to "urge congregations, dioceses and every
other church group and organization to facilitate genuine and
respectful encounter between heterosexual and homosexual
parishioners, recognizing that they live different lifestyles,
hold different opinions but share one Lord, one faith, one
baptism."

     In a resolution that is likely to draw criticism from
factions trying to resolve the issue once and for all, the report
says that "each diocese, under the spiritual direction of its
bishop, shall determine the resolution of issues related to same-
sex relationships, including the blessing of such relationships,
and the ordination of homosexual Christians."

     The commission was asked by the last General Convention in
1997 to "continue its study of theological aspects of committed
relationships of same-sex couples and to issue a full report,
including recommendations of future steps." Because the House of
Deputies in 1997 narrowly defeated a resolution calling for the
commission to prepare a liturgical rite for blessing same-sex
relationships, some hoped that the commission would lead the way
in recommending such a change.

Passion and pain

     In the introduction to its report, the commission called
attention to 25 years of debate on the role of homosexuals in the
life of the church, a debate marked by "passion on both sides of
the issue, as well as pain." And it added, "There has been
prejudice, misinformation and a lack of Christian charity."

     The report attempts to remedy the situation by providing
short essays on a range of theological perspectives. One on
Scripture--by Prof. L. William Countryman; Tradition--by Prof.
Richard Norris; Experience--by Bishop Charles Bennison; a review
of understandings of homosexuality--by Prof. Timothy Sedgwick;
Ecclesiology--by Prof. Daniel Stevick; Blessing--by Prof. Leonel
Mitchell; Catechesis and same-sex blessings--by Prof. Sheryl
Kujawa; and a concluding reflection by Bishop Paul Marshall of
Bethlehem. Bibliographies are attached to the essays.

     Marshall says that, among the choices facing the church, "is
the possibility of allowing the political process to dominate,
ending the issue without settling it, by taking an up-or-down
vote." But because all of our knowledge on the subject is
"imperfect," and in a state that could be described as
"ignorance," he concludes, "To admit that we are not ready,
theologically or scientifically, to say a defining word about the
life of homosexuals in the church betokens the much broader
disagreement, in practice, among very faithful people regarding
sexual mores in general."

     Urging those on both sides of the debate to proceed with
some humility, Marshall said that "it seems best not to take
absolutist positions on a national level about what cannot be
known with great certainty."

     He added, "When we simply cannot agree that one view compels
the allegiance of all faithful people, as is the case today, the
reverently ignorant thing to do is either to abstain altogether
from making a decision, or else to allow dioceses to find their
own way in the matter and only much later, if ever, come to some
general agreement." And he warned, "The principal alternative
seems to be schism, which many an ancient Christian believed to
be a state far worse than heresy or ignorance."

Hopes--and fears

     The Rev. Bruce Jenneker of Boston, chair of the commission,
said in an interview that the 1976 General Convention said that
"homosexual persons are children of God who have a full and equal
claim with all other persons upon the love, acceptance and
pastoral concern and care of the church."

     The problem is that "we have been trying to work out what
that means ever since," he added. "We opened a vision for gay
people in the church, one that has not been accomplished. We
raised expectations but also fears--and we as a commission wanted
to address the hopes as well as the fears."

     Jenneker said that the commission was "looking for a way to
help the church move forward on an issue where there is no
unanimity, where there are good people on both sides." Using the
strong differences of opinion when the church opened the
priesthood to women, he said that the commission is "looking for
a way to live with our differences," based on a shared commitment
to unity and diversity held in an honest tension.

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's Office of
News and Information.