From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Chief Says He Has "Stopped the Hemorrhaging" at NCC

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 20 Feb 2000 20:05:46

19-February-2000
00084

    New Chief Says He Has "Stopped the Hemorrhaging" at NCC

    Edgar says council will focus on world's children

    by John Filiatreau

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Former U.S. Representative Robert W. Edgar, the new
general secretary of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the
U.S.A. (NCC), came to the meeting of the General Assembly Council to say
that he has "stopped the hemorrhaging" at the 50-year-old ecumenical
organization and has begun installing safeguards to ensure "that the money
is used responsibly."

    Edgar, 56, is an ordained United Methodist minister who came to the NCC
from the Claremont School of Theology in California, where he served as
president for 10 years.

    He said his assignment at the NCC is not unlike the situation he faced
when he arrived at Claremont, which he said was "just a hiccup away from
going out of business," reeling from "two embezzlements" and having "no
money for salaries."  During the 10 years that he was at the helm, Edgar
said, the school's endowment increased from $3.8 million to $25 million,
enrollment climbed from 300 to 550, and the institution became "the most
ecumenical of the Methodist seminaries," with students representing more
than 30 Christian denominations.

    He said he has the expertise in "financial and administrative issues"
to clear up the "chaos" he found at the NCC.

    As general secretary (a salaried position equivalent to that of chief
executive officer), Edgar shares leadership in the NCC with former U.N.
ambassador Andrew Young, who was installed last Nov. 11 to serve as NCC
president (a non-salaried post) through the year 2001.  Edgar and Young
served overlapping terms in Congress, participating together in the Clergy
Caucus (Young is a United Church of Christ minister).

    The NCC, the nation's largest ecumenical organization with 35 member
communions having more than 50 million congregants, has an annual budget of
about $60 million.

    Edgar said he plans to launch a resources development program for the
NCC "similar to what I've done at Claremont," and to ask the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.) Foundation to manage its endowment.  "I look with some awe
at what the Presbyterians have done," he said.  "We would be a client of
the Presbyterian Foundation, because your foundation has the best
reputation.

    "After 50 years, the NCC should have an endowment of at least $100
million."

    Edgar said the NCC got into financial trouble because it was "not very
systematized or organized" and was "coasting on a 1950s reputation."  He
said it didn't have "a very good identity or clarity about our work," and
did a poor job of "paper oversight."

    Since his arrival, Edgar said, "there are no limousines picking people
up and taking them to the airport," and no longer are corporate credit
cards being used in questionable ways.  He said he found that $197,000 had
been paid over three years in pension payments for people no longer on the
payroll.  And, he added, one staff member had $38,000 in debts on a credit
card and hadn't bothered to keep receipts.

    "Was it legal?  Yes," he said.  "Was it fraud?  Noooo.  Was it smart?
No!"

    Edgar said "about nine" NCC employees have been dismissed and that 18
other positions have not been filled.

    "About every 50 years, organizations probably should be renovated
whether they need it or not," he said.

    "One of its biggest problems," he said of the NCC, "is that it's for
everything - and the member communions help us to be for everything."

    In the next 18 months, he said, the council will focus on children in
order to "clear away the fuzziness" about the image and role of the
organization.

    "We're going to shape everything we do as it is reflected in and about
children," he said.  "If we talk about hunger, we'll talk about children
and hunger.  If we talk about war, we'll talk about how war affects
children."

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org